Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
scott890

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by scott890 »

Hello All,

In the past few weeks I've become extremely interested in the headlight restoration business. I've looked all around the internet at all the different companies offering their system, and I've read this forum for everyones input about this business. After reading through the threads here the consensus seems to be that IPS and Dvelup are the best systems for HLR. I was just wondering about a few other systems that have not been mentioned in any of the threads. In particular, the one being offered by liquidresins.com, as well as headlighthazerepair.com. The latter says they have a 10 step process that does not include a sealer to finish it off. Anybody have any info on those two?

Chips1144............I was wondering if you ever did start up your own HLR business? I'm like you, a bit of a perfectionist.

I'm looking for the highest quality system available. If it means I have to fly to FL and pay $500 to IPS then I will, if I'm convinced they are the best. The reason being is that I would like to offer a 6 month warranty on my restored headlights, and I don't want customers calling me back after 3 or 4 months telling me that their H/L are going cloudy again. I want to do it right the first time. Any responses appreciated.

-Scott
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

scott890;29016 wrote:Hello All,

The reason being is that I would like to offer a 6 month warranty on my restored headlights, and I don't want customers calling me back after 3 or 4 months telling me that their H/L are going cloudy again. I want to do it right the first time. Any responses appreciated.

-Scott

With the Dvelup system I offer a 4 year warranty on my headlights, 2 year unconditional reconditioning if any cloudiness or fading occurs and 2 year prorated. Dvelup has guaranteed not fading will occur within 2 years. Test has been done to 4 years and passed but they have told me federal regs prohobit them from any guarantee for that long. I love the dvelop system.

One thing to remember when refinishing headlights is to completely remove the old UV layer so the new layer doesn't peal off. Also a new UV protective layer must be placed back on or they will fade in less than 6 months. I recommend Dvelup but whatever kit you go with make sure the system is not overpriced and thekit you purchase have a UV protective layer to apply. I too am a perfectionist.

Hope this helps.
scott890

Post by scott890 »

Chips-B-Gone;29017 wrote:
One thing to remember when refinishing headlights is to completely remove the old UV layer so the new layer doesn't peal off. Also a new UV protective layer must be placed back on or they will fade in less than 6 months.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, how would you know when the old UV layer is sanded off?
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Hello Scott.

No I haven't started headlight repair or bought a system, there are so many systems out there it can get very confusing, I decided to put this idea on the back burner for a short time as I have other things I am working on.

If I had to put together a system this week I believe I would be using a combination of dvelop chemicals, 3M disc's and polishing pads with a Jepson variable sander/polisher.

The headlight haze site looks OK but it just adds to the confusion for me, quick results are good but no clear coating seems strange to me, Most systems have a clear coat of some description so I buy in that it needs one.

I truly believe the IPS looks great, Liquid resins sell IPS glass polishing products, I'm not sure if their headlight repair system is IPS or not, they both use the Jepson I mentioned above.

Good Luck to you.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

scott890
you ask how we you know when the sealer is off. It is the same as removing paint off a piece of wood. You car see what you are or have done...
scott890

Post by scott890 »

Thank you for the responses. I was also wondering, have you ever screwed up a customers headlight, and then had to go to the dealer to get them a new one? Just wondering if it's possible to do that. Has anyone ever had to remove the light assembly from the car and clean the inside? Or is the haze always on the outside?
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Bois »

Scott890,
If you're not careful with a buffer you can damage the plastic by "burning" it. I had this happen on a Mustang - too much heat. Also, be careful not to buff the car finish around the lens.

If, after "wet" sanding, the lens looks like a cloudy sky, then you haven't removed all the old coating. Sand some more.

I'm not personally familiar with the IPS system. But from what I've read on this forum it appears that it's top-of-the-line, pricely and difficult to obtain without IPS training in FL. There's always a trade-off between cost and quality. You can spend $500 and get 99% quality or you can spend $200 and get 95% quality. IMHO, Dvelup is the way to go.

Sometimes the yellowing or cloudiness can be on the inside along with moisture. I try to assess these conditions and then inform the customer. I don't remove the lenses because of the time element (and I'm not mechanically inclined) nor do I try to remove moisture. Some techs do, however.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
scott890

Post by scott890 »

I ordered the Dvelup kit and it's on the way. Now a question about marketing........would anybody care to share their tips on how to get customers? I know if you already do windshield repair or something similar you can just cross sell it to your customers at the same time, but what about doing this as a stand alone service. This will be the only thing I'll be offering, atleast for the time being. The most obvious thing is to go through a parking lot and find cars with cloudy headlights and then leaving a flyer, but the only thing I'm worried about is someone calling me up and screaming at me because I left a paper on their car.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Scott...
When leaving flyers on cars you need to be very careful not to scratch their car, people do get upset about stuff like that and Im one of those people, Faded headlights stand out easliy, maybe you could do the flyers and see how it works out for you.
I was thinking of putting a Business card in the drivers door window, of course that could be trouble too.

Good Luck.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

OK Chips1144, You are next.