Headlight restoration?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
chips1144

Re: Headlight restoration?

Post by chips1144 »

I have to keep this thread going. hahahaaaaa.

Can anyone tell me if there are any health risks with perfoming this service, I like to know upfront what Im dealing with, I prefer to avoid health risks if at all possible.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Dvelip have latex gloves or what ever you want to use. I use there system without gloves. The only thing that may stick to your hands is the 2 part sealer and that may be wear you may want to use gloves...

Otherwise if you drink it it may grow to much hair in parts were you do not want it.. That line is for splitpit to gloat on.. It would be something he would say.... In good taste... Joke guys, Joke.

Don D.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Thanks GT, good point.

I was also wondering about the breathing aspect, sanding/polishing can cause problems, Im just throwing out this question because safety should always be our number one concern.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

chips1144;27033 wrote:Thanks GT, good point.

I was also wondering about the breathing aspect, sanding/polishing can cause problems, Im just throwing out this question because safety should always be our number one concern.

Do not dry sand the Polycarbonate lens with out a resperator.Will give you big problems from extended breathing of dust into lungs.Look up polycarbonate dust GOOGLE and read.

The headlight slicker sealer in nothing more than a varnish thinned with mineral spirits.Probably a lot less harmfull than a lot of w/shield resins.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Bois »

[quote="harrellbenjamin;27035"]Do not dry sand the Polycarbonate lens with out a resperator.Will give you big problems from extended breathing of dust into lungs.quote]

I agree. I wet sand only. The moisture keeps dust to a minimum. Too many jobs back-to-back could make one dizzy if they breathe the UV coating mixture. :D
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
toab

Post by toab »

I have the rightlook system.Field tested it on my wifes car first(intrepid).It is a one part clear that goes on last.Has been about 8 mos'.The plastic is starting to lose some clarity now but still not as bad as they were before.Anybody have both the rightlook and the develup system or other who can give an unbiased opinion about which company has the best holdout and longevity of the topcoat clear??? thanks ahead.
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

toab;27106 wrote:I have the rightlook system.Field tested it on my wifes car first(intrepid).It is a one part clear that goes on last.Has been about 8 mos'.The plastic is starting to lose some clarity now but still not as bad as they were before.Anybody have both the rightlook and the develup system or other who can give an unbiased opinion about which company has the best holdout and longevity of the topcoat clear??? thanks ahead.

I don't use both but I do use dvelups system and their system contains a UV blocker/inhibitor. I am very happy with Dvelup's results. I also field tested it on my explorer (passengers side) and no change so far after about 3 months.

I do have a friend that bought a "kit" from a major automotive parts store and did his about 6 months ago with no UV blocker. His wife said they looked good for about2-3 months then went "downhill". They now look worse than before. He is the commercial accts manager at that store so I don't think he wants me to do them because it may, in his mind, make him look bad...You know, selling inferior products..Just a guess.
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

Ben, Thanks giving me the idea of using power tools. A local autobody shop gave me a hook&loop adapter for my drill so I purchased a interface adapter and wow, Does stripping go fast! I still have to touch up the edges by had but it speeds up the process greatly... I use a cordless 24v B&D drill.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

Chips-B-Gone;27343 wrote:Ben, Thanks giving me the idea of using power tools. A local autobody shop gave me a hook&loop adapter for my drill so I purchased a interface adapter and wow, Does stripping go fast! I still have to touch up the edges by had but it speeds up the process greatly... I use a cordless 24v B&D drill.
I just saw a Wren cordless 4"buffer sander on this site

topoftheline.com

Looked good for when you have to do a set without power source.Me,I use overkill LOL .I have 100' of H/D electrical cord on a reel out the side of my trailer with 50' of airhose hooked up out the back to a 35Gal upright compressor(I also do paint work) and a 3"National detroit sander.If they look crusty I just get out the POWER TOOLS!!!!!! LOL but if mild just wet sand after a quick go over with my 3" Electric D/A with Hookit pad and interface.Glad its working for you.
toab

Post by toab »

anybody else tried both rightlook and develups systems too evaluate which is the superior system??