Headlight Restortation II

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Headlight Restortation II

Post by Bois »

I've heard people on this forum who clean headlights say that the customer should apply a plastic (or similar) coating to their lenses every 4 - 6 months to prolong the UV protection. I've had customers ask me for the name of a product and I can't come up with one. :icon_redf I've check with several auto supply stores in my area and have read the lables on most waxes and cleaners and none state that they have UV protection. Even PlastiX (sp) doesn't say it contains a UV protectant.

Can anyone give me the name of some products that can be bought in an auto supply store that will work? :eusa_shif
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
StarQuest

Re: Headlight Restortation II

Post by StarQuest »

Bois,

I personally use the IPS polishing system and their UV protective final coating. Supposed to be good for 3 years. So far on one of my vehicles (97 Ford Taurus) it's holding up well but you have to take into consideration I live in Michigan (not a very high UV area).

I've also looked at retail locations for similar products but haven't found any that
compared or stated they block UV. Not to say they don't exist but doubt you'll find one at your local auto parts store.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Here is what was explained to me
Headlights discolor for several reasons and usually the damage found is a combination of a couple of the listed reasons if not all
1. physical damage such as sand blasting this abrades the surface opening it to chemical damage or increased drying out resulting in fogging
2. chemical damage from salt,smog oil etc the open surface absorbs them and utlimatly lead to discoloration.(yellowing)
3. The plastic/acrylic drys out its a petroleum product and when the surfce has been broken it drys out resulting in cloudy or foggy looking lenses

Useing somthing to remove the damage and then top off with a clear coat that seals things back up some call it a uv coating but im not a believer that it is the uv light that caused the damage in the first place the light that comes from inside is intense and has more uv spectrum light coming out than will ever soak in the system I use has a final coat I apply with a foam brush It seem to hold up well but with the repeated sand blasting from the road its bound to get blasted off eventually and need to be done again
Bois

Post by Bois »

I went back and searched all the headlight restoration threads dating back to 2005 and could not find any mention of products other than regular car wax. I guess most car waxes have a UV protectant.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

Take caution with car polishes that are petrolem base(most off the shelf are). When you polish with them you embed the petrolem into the plastic ,Once that turns yellow it can't be removed.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

GlassStarz;27103 wrote:Here is what was explained to me
Headlights discolor for several reasons and usually the damage found is a combination of a couple of the listed reasons if not all
1. physical damage such as sand blasting this abrades the surface opening it to chemical damage or increased drying out resulting in fogging
2. chemical damage from salt,smog oil etc the open surface absorbs them and utlimatly lead to discoloration.(yellowing)
3. The plastic/acrylic drys out its a petroleum product and when the surfce has been broken it drys out resulting in cloudy or foggy looking lenses

Useing somthing to remove the damage and then top off with a clear coat that seals things back up some call it a uv coating but im not a believer that it is the uv light that caused the damage in the first place the light that comes from inside is intense and has more uv spectrum light coming out than will ever soak in the system I use has a final coat I apply with a foam brush It seem to hold up well but with the repeated sand blasting from the road its bound to get blasted off eventually and need to be done again
The factory UV coating that is coated at the factory that Mfg.polycarbonate lens for OEM dealers use a product to seal/protect the polycarbonate lens from the elements.polycarbonate is a very strong but pourus material.The coating that is installed is nothing more than an industrial marine type spar varnish with UV blockers added.Yes nothing but a form of varnish.Open up your Dvelup 2 part slicker and sniff.What?? yep varnish and a mineral spirts to thin it.If you doubt this just google Red dot paints and varnish.They are major supplier of product for polycarbonate lens coating to the auto industry.Polycarbonate has to be sealed or it will absord the elements easily.You have never seen how bad UV damage is until you live in the sunny south.Its hard on anything exposed.If it was from a light bulb the lens would be damaged from the inside also not the reverse.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Just wondering, I have used 303 protectant on tires and it is supposed to be good for a lot of other things. You can find it in RV supply places and I think maybe marine or aviation places. It's supposed to be great stuff but I don't know if it should be used on plastics. I think the company that makes it also makes other UV coating materials.
ChipperFixer

Post by ChipperFixer »

I wonder? Would "Diamond Shield" work in this situation? Their catch phrase is
"The Invisible Bra" sounds like it should protect something.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

ChipperFixer;27123 wrote:I wonder? Would "Diamond Shield" work in this situation? Their catch phrase is
"The Invisible Bra" sounds like it should protect something.
Just buy the Dvelup or Rightlooks top coat and go make lots of $$$$$$$$$$
Its as easy as that!!!The guys that sell this stuff have already pulled their hair out years ago finding what works well.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I looked on the bottle of 303 that I just bought and it says that it's good for plastics and lenses. Claims to stop uv fading and damage for around four months depending on climate etc.

I am not looking for this to replace a topcoat but to tell my clients what they might use to extend the life of their lenses.

I just ordered the Dvelup system and should have it next week. We have a lot of WSR competition here now and am thinking this will be a nice way to make some money if business slows down because of it. There are at least four or five repair people busy on my end of town and the season is just starting.