Headlight Restortation II

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Chips-B-Gone

Re: Headlight Restortation II

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

Nomad;27130 wrote: I am not looking for this to replace a topcoat but to tell my clients what they might use to extend the life of their lenses.

I just ordered the Dvelup system and should have it next week. We have a lot of windshield repair competition here now and am thinking this will be a nice way to make some money if business slows down because of it. There are at least four or five repair people busy on my end of town and the season is just starting.

I tell customers to use a vehicle wax with UV protectant in it and apply about every 3-4 months to extend the life of the lense.

Ditto on the competition. Same around here. I have 2 major chains here and about 4-5 small independent repair/replacement shops that dealers have been using for years.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Nomad
Everyone in Yuma are turning tricks like you to pay for their gas to get to sunny AZ.

On the Dvelip H/L system. I have noticed That their sanding discs do not get down deep enough to remove the top layer out here... I have been having better luck sanding by hand starting with 320 if needed then 400 and up.. your snowbirds may not be as bad being they are not locals of AZ.

Good luck with the H/L system.

Don D.
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

I use the 3m hook it system on a cordless and the 3" pads that go with it 600 grit on the bad ones 1200 light
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

GlassStarz
Are you using wet/dry discs?

The ones I got when I bought my Poly hog from GT in the past has some pretty good wet sanding discs. (Edited by moderator)

Now I use the Dvelip system, but there disc just can't cut it removing the hard layer. they are for dry sanding only.

Guess I may be using both systems for that they are good for. But I do like wet sanding by hand for the most part.

don D.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I did a job on Friday on a Cadi. that someone just bought and one light was all messed up. I thought someone sprayed clear coat on it and did a f'ed up job on it but as I was TRYING to remove it I relized it was not clear coat at all. It seamed to be a resin mix that was badly wiped on. I even used the GT extra coarse discs and it did not cut it all. I cleaned it up taking the discs down to clear it up the best I could and used the Dvelip compond and sealer, and when I went to seal the light down it would streak and run like it was repeling off. I went back 2 hrs later and sanded it down a little and recompoinded and sealed again and it brought it up to 90% in my books. Customer was impresed on what I did. Great on repeat work. It was a auto repair shop that use to replace the lights for the customers now I restore them for the shop.

I tryed to load the pics but they are to big for the requrments on this site. I do not know how to resize. ( I am on the need to know bacis when it comes to computers)

Sorry
Don D.

Don D.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

The system I use first step is wet sand so i use the wet discs from 3m they work well
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Well I figured it out for down sizing the pics....
By looking close you can still see the runs in the H/L. It was 10 times that the first time I sealed them...
When I started you could not even see the bulbs inside the lights...

Half way through I just wanted to walk away from the job. But that is not me. I like a challenge. I would like to do more on the light but the customer wanted the car back.... I may work on it again when they bring it in sore service again...

Don D.
Attachments
100_0201.JPG
100_0201.JPG (106.18 KiB) Viewed 124 times
100_0202.JPG
100_0202.JPG (81.2 KiB) Viewed 125 times
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

GlassStarz.

Could you tell me what brand and model number cordless tool you use.

Power is one of my biggest problems, I don't have power at most dealers where I work, I work at the back of the lot.

I know an Astro mini DA would work great but Id need to haul my compressor, and maybe buy a generator, I've looked at high powered cordless drills and right angle drills, I've even considered da' sanders/ polishers and a inverter to run off my van, Cordless would be my best option.

I want something that works.

Thanks for you help, it really is appreciated.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I use the Craftsman 19.2 but any will work
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Thankyou, I will check them out.