Yellow Lens

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Yellow Lens

Post by Bois »

One of my dealers asked me to see if I could clean up a pair of lenses on a 2001 Ford F250. The lenses were yellow but not cloudy. There were stress cracks on the inside (presummably due to heat) but no moisture. Other than the yellowing, the lenses looked smooth - no pitting. The turn signal and parking light lenses were as clear a glass - shinny, no yellowing.

I used 600 & 1000 grit paper (both manual and orbital sander) after using Yellow X (Dvelup) and then buffed. While some of the yellowing came off, I did not achieve the clear glass-like appreance that I usually get. One of the salesmen said that he wondered if the lenses were made with a yellow tint.

My question...has anyone heard of lenses being made with tints? Personnaly, I wouldn't think so. But...
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
Bois

Re: Yellow Lens

Post by Bois »

I forgot to mention that when I applied Yellow X there was no "degressing" effect. The Yellow X just ran off the lens like water.
Dale...
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I think you just didnt sand down enough sometimes the stuff is pretty thick
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

fords are known for yellowing. Like Glasstarz said you need to sand it down a lot more and do not forget the edges, that can reflect the yellowing also..

Don D.
FIX A CHIP AUST

Post by FIX A CHIP AUST »

May not be the problem but if the prior owner upgraded the wattage of his bulbs inside the light to a higher watt it will cause yellowing on the inside due to excess heat build up in the light. Just a thought.
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

gt_repair;28240 wrote:fords are known for yellowing. Like Glasstarz said you need to sand it down a lot more and do not forget the edges, that can reflect the yellowing also..

Don D.
If this is the case the lense may have to be removed to get all the edges thouroughly.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

Chips

Not really. The tops are what go bad and start to yellow and that is what will reflect the lighting if you know what I mean. Just sand on the top radius if the the lens curves up and seams yellow.

Don D.
Bois

Post by Bois »

Again, thanks for the advice. No one commented on whether the lenses were tinted so I guess not.
Dale...