Water Beading on Lenses

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Water Beading on Lenses

Post by Bois »

Guess this is my day for questions.

Just wondering. Some times after sanding lenses, but before buffing, water from my spray bottle beads up on the lens when I go to clean them with paper towel. Does this mean I've got good clean lenses? Or, do I still have old coating that needs to be removed? :eusa_thin
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
CV Windshield Repair

Re: Water Beading on Lenses

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

What grit of sand paper are you using?
Bois

Post by Bois »

Usually start with 600 and then 1000.
Dale...
mrchip

Post by mrchip »

after sanding dry off h/l..it should be an all around even gray haze..if you see a difference in haze (outline of difference) then its not all removed..some h/l have real hard film to remove like cherokees..I don't think 600 will remove it...if h/l was real hot after sanding that would make water bead..any comments?
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I get the water repelling affect also but as long as you have all the old sealer removed, it should not make a differance in the resealing of the light. I would take it to 1500 also. I also use the white scotch bright pads along with my orbital or by hand wet, That will help clean it up before aplying the compound then the sealer.

Don D.
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

Does anyone after polishing the headlight go over the lense with a cleaner to ensure that it is free of polish before they seal the headlight? If you do what do you use?
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I use DVELP's Yellow X after aplying the compound, then hose it down, dry and aply sealer.

Are you useing DVELP's syst. or winging it on your own with trial and airer?

Don D.
Chips-B-Gone

Post by Chips-B-Gone »

mrchip;28237 wrote:after sanding dry off h/l..it should be an all around even gray haze..if you see a difference in haze (outline of difference) then its not all removed..some h/l have real hard film to remove like cherokees..I don't think 600 will remove it...if h/l was real hot after sanding that would make water bead..any comments?

600 will work but it takes a bit longer to do. I usually start with 360 or 400 grit then proressively move to 600, 1000, then 1500. They turn out almost better than new.:eusa_danc
Bois

Post by Bois »

Thanks all for the comments. At least it's not just me getting the water beading effect.
Dale...