Airplane Windscreen Repair

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Hawaii Guy
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Airplane Windscreen Repair

Post by Hawaii Guy »

Has anyone restored the windscreen on an airplane with the same type of system we use for headlight restoration? Would you finish with a finer grade sand paper? Do you apply a UV Coating or just leave it at the Polish Stage? I've heard it can be done (as well as Motorcycle Fairings, Convertible Top Rear Windows, and Boat Windscreens) on any plastic or acrylic but I would love to hear from someone who has actually done it to a plane. It's just a little Cessna, the owner has used Lemon Pledge on for over 20 years to help remove bugs and maintain the windscreen. Any help would be rewarded in Heaven.
t4k

Re: Airplane Windscreen Repair

Post by t4k »

There is a product called Micro Mesh that is apparently approved by the FAA to recondition airplane windows. They have a website...just Google them and you will can find out about their products. They do not coat with an UV coating.
t4k

Post by t4k »

I forgot to mention....I have used their products on headlights with good results but I have never used any products on airplane windows or screens.
SGT

Post by SGT »

Yes as a GOVT. LICENSED AND CERTIFIED aircraft technician I have restored aircraft transparancies and lite lenses for almost 20 years when needed Continentals aircraft. Micro mesh is a terrific product in the hands of professional. No we do not use any UV coatings.

I have to be blunt here for your sake. If you do not know what you are doing, I HIGHLY suggest you do not experiment on someones aircraft or seek advice from individuals who focus on far less restrictive or complex headlight restoration. You will open up a can a worms both technically and possibly legally. You will be in a whole different arena with aviation work. Be careful unlike, automotive work were anyone can do or concock homemade products, solutions and do horrible work with no ramafications the FAA is watching and will come down on you.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
SGT

Post by SGT »

This is a cut and paste on routine acrylic cleaning from another aviation technical source:

Lemon Pledge?????????????????????????????????????????

THE DON'TS WHILE CLEANING AIRCRAFT ACRYLIC

Never use a circular motion when rubbing the window surface. Remaining dirt will cause random, round scratches, dramatically reducing vision and optical clarity when flying into the sun. Vertical patterns are less noticeable than horizontal.

Never wipe plastic that's dry. Dust and foreign particles will scratch the surface. Worse, wiping "dry acrylic" builds up a tremendous static charge, attracting even more dust and dirt.

Never employ a used cloth. Only fresh clean cotton should ever be used. Anything less will only have left1over dirt, debris and dust from previous usage.

Never use paper towels or cloth containing nylon or synthetic fibers, all of which are abrasive. Use only 100 percent cotton when cleaning or restoring acrylic.

Never use a cover on acrylic. Even 100 percent cotton can ruin a windshield after the wind chaffs it from the dirt that gets blown under the cover.

Never use any of the following to clean acrylic: gasoline, benzine, alcohol, acetone, carbon tetrachloride, lacquer thinner or glass cleaner. Each will damage the plastic in one form or another. You can't go wrong using water alone.

Never use a wax or filler unless it's specifically designed for acrylic applications. Petroleum-based waxes, for example, will attack acrylic.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
ChampionCHIP,wsr

Post by ChampionCHIP,wsr »

that's very intersting SGT.
i have heard you need to be certified to do a pressure aircraft. not so for nonpressuized ones.

paul
SGT

Post by SGT »

Call the FAA and research the FAR's if you desire the truth or you can just believe what you have been told. Understand what you are getting into folks.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
Hawaii Guy

Post by Hawaii Guy »

Thanks for the information and input Brian. As a former detailer I did not touch aircraft due to the insurance liability or even more so the cost of it. I think I will pass on this job as well. I did look up Micro Mesh and that looks like a good product but I agree that it should be used by a well trained person. I also remember reading about a franchise available that trains in this endeavour but there again it is not cost effective and $500K insurance is not nearly enough to protect you. Thanks again for all the input
SGT

Post by SGT »

I am glad I could provide some insight. My intent was not to say you can not do this work if you desire but understand what you getting into, how and what it takes to get involved and what the consequences may be. Headlights and aircraft transparencies are not the same so on many levels and should not be treated as if they were. I can see it now every headlight wizard across the country running out and trying to polish aircraft windows with some after market headlight system or home made process and chemical concoction. That would stir up the hornets real quick!!!

I wanted to be very clear as there are many people that read this forum that see guys making there own concoctions and coming up with there own methods for doing things and they might think they can just have at it on aircraft. Not a good idea.
Safe Glass Technologies

2012 WRO Gold
2009 WRO Gold
2009 WSRPOTY
2008 WRO Silver
SuperGlassDave

Post by SuperGlassDave »

This is great advice from SGT, don't ignore it. If you were to, without knowing, polish the window below the minimum thickness, you would be liable and would have to replace the window. A Lear windshield, one side goes from $35,000 to $48,000 depending on the features. Cabin windows are commonly $5000 each to replace.
Also, the window, on a pressurized aircraft, is part of the airframe and is critical to the safety of the occupants. You wouldn't want to compromise their safety (lives) by not completely understanding the job at hand.
You can contact most aircraft manufacturers to request the specifications of the windows. Also, many windows are glass and cannot be worked on at all.
It's a great business and very gratifying but, there is a ton of legal, drug test, certification, etc ahead of you to do it right.
As far as non pressurized, many of them also have specs that need to be adhered to but, many don't. Light polishing of scratches and restoring clarity is done all the time by the owners of those planes. But, the windows can be pretty cheap too, as low as $40 for cabin windows and 200 or 300 for w/s.
Hope some of this helps. Feel free to call with questions.
David Casey- SuperGlass & ATRR