harder then normal lights list

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: harder then normal lights list

Post by Brent Deines »

Brent Deines wrote:Candyman,

Sorry you were told we do not have any 80 grit discs. We actually do have them in stock, they just are not in our regular product line as we quite frankly thought they were too aggressive until recently. Now I would not be without them for that occasional nasty Impala or similarly difficult to sand headlight.

They are 3 1/8" discs instead of 3" so we include matched interface pad with every 5 discs and they will work perfectly well with your Griots, Metabo, Makita, or any other 3" sander. The part number is Z990112 and they sell for $3.33 for the pad and 5 discs.

Since we gave you some misinformation I will send you a pack for free on Monday.

I'm also sending a copy of this message to my office staff so everyone will know we have this product in stock.
Correction: Z990112 sells for $10 and is a pkg of 15 discs and 3 interface pads. The price comes out to be the same per disc but the package size is larger than I originally stated. Again, I apologize for the confusion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
h2oman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by h2oman »

I came across a 2005 Chevy Impala at a new car lot I just picked up. I had to go to Lowe's and get some 80 grit and still went through 3 of those pads just to get to 120 and proceed. It took me almost 3 hours, on asphalt & 80+. This one kicked my tail.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Pretty hard to justify when you can buy a pair of replacements on Amazon for $80. Quote from the description: "Special coating on the lens surface prevents hazing and fading, ensuring proper illumination and operational safety." Doesn't do too good of a job at preventing hazing and fading but it sure is hard to remove.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
dc2001

Post by dc2001 »

Another for the 2004 dodge truck with the two domes on each light. Was a pain to get all the sanding marks out.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Good morning! Yesterday I had a 2004 Impala HLR that was a pain. I ordered some 80 grit from DK a few weeks ago for another job, so I decided to try them on this vehicle. It required 5 Pads per headlight to get to the surface. I could have got by using 4 , but it would have added another 10 minutes or more. Once I had the coating removed, I used 2, 180 disc and 2, 350 disc to smooth out the scratches left by the 80 disc. I finished up with a 500, 800 1500 and the 3000 polishing pad. I took photos and sent them to DK. The drivers lens had been replaced a few years ago due to a deer. That lens had water inside. I used my WSR dremel to put 2 small holes in the bottom of the lens, This should allow for the moisture to escape and drain the water. Customer was very satisfied with finished product. Without the 80 disc, it would have taken maybe 6-8, 180 disc per headlight ,to get to the surface. The overall time may have been about 2 - 3 hours. Using the 80's my total time was just under 90 minutes using a Groit orbital. I used a speed setting of 4 for better control. Once i started with the 1500 disc, I set the speed to 5 and then 6 for the 3000 polishing pad. Temp was about 62 and clear sky . I used Infiniti 4.1 for the coating. When using the 80 disc, be very careful and triple tape around lenses.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

dc2001 wrote:Another for the 2004 dodge truck with the two domes on each light. Was a pain to get all the sanding marks out.
I know this is an old post, but these arent all that bad. The problem isnt in the lens. Its with the kind of disc. We use The same brand Indasa discs but in same cases dont use the Redline at all. Indasa makes a FINISHING disc that's softer and doesn't leave any scratches behind when you have HL's that have bubbles like the Ram. Its called FilmDISCS and the part number starts with a 7300F. It comes in a blue box. When sanding yo have to be very careful around the bubbles. If you want more info, let me know.

Paul Weinstein
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I haven't found the Dodge headlights to be all the difficult either, although as Paul said, the bubbles do add a degree of complexity. We have used the film discs as well but in our experience they didn't work any better. No worse, just not better. I do have to say that if Paul restored the Dodge headlight in the photo, he did a mighty fine job. Kuddos!
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Brent Deines wrote:I haven't found the Dodge headlights to be all the difficult either, although as Paul said, the bubbles do add a degree of complexity. We have used the film discs as well but in our experience they didn't work any better. No worse, just not better. I do have to say that if Paul restored the Dodge headlight in the photo, he did a mighty fine job. Kuddos!
I did. And I used the Film discs. They add quite a degree of clarity to the lens surface over the red boxes.
Paul Weinstein
t4k

Post by t4k »

I still prefer the Mirka Abralon foam discs.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Paul, how about a before photo of that Dodge?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.