Headlight fogged at 41 degrees

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Headlight fogged at 41 degrees

Post by candyman »

I restored a 2004 Volvo headlights yesterday. The temp was 41 dgs and (rain) cloud overcast.
I sanded the headlights with no problem. I applied the UV coating and the lights looked good. Within a few minutes both headlights dulled or clouded over. I used same method for mixing chemical 50/50. I used a blue shop towel, and clean cup. I used a blow drier to dry the headlights and reapplied a second coat of the UV. The HL's looked better. I told the customer I would return today to check them. I dont know if it was the temp, weather condition or chemical. I have restored headlighhts in light rain at 35 degrees and never had this happen. It is suppose to be in the mid 50's today. If they dont look like they should , I will redo the headlights. Has anyone had this happen to them or know what the problem may have been. My UV chem is less than 6 months old since I ordered it. I didnt use any polish. I used prep spray, 250, 600, 1500 & 3000 sanding disc.
candyman

Re: Headlight fogged at 41 degrees

Post by candyman »

Correction! I used a 350 sanding disc not a 250:
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Did you warm the lenses by letting the car run with the headlights on for at least 10-15 min. prior to applying the final coat? I have found that cold lenses do not accept the final coat very well.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Any moisture in the coating could cause the problem you described. Even condensation on the lens or a little moisture picked up from the edge during the application of the coating can cause problems. You may have just gotten lucky if you have restored headlights in the rain in the past without incident.

As t4k not warming the lights prior to and during the restoration could also be part of the problem. At 41 degrees you are on the fringe of the low temperature limit anyway, then add a little moisture and you are asking for trouble. Personally I would not do headlight restorations out of doors unless I had a way to keep rain and sun off the headlights while I was working on them, and even until the coating had dried to the touch.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k

Post by t4k »

All of my HLR are done outside but I NEVER work in the rain. I will postpone the restoration and wait for better weather.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I have a pop up canopy similar to this that I can set up by myself in just a couple of minutes. It's not a perfect solution In a tight parking lot or if you don't have keys to the car, but in Oregon you can't always wait for for a sunny day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqnpWwf_aPA

With the proper graphics a pop up canopy also generates a fair amount of interest in what you are doing.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Dr.Chipster

Post by Dr.Chipster »

Hey Brent, I am curious why you stated you would not do headlight restoration in sunny weather. Since investing in the H/L restore kit 100% of my restores are outdoors. I have not had an issue yet with a botched restore job and the kit seems to work consistently for me. I restored a set of h/ls on a Chrysler Sebring the other day, It was about 38 degrees and overcast and they came out perfect. So I guess I am answering my own question, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am just curious to what you are saying. I do live in a dry climate though maybe that is the difference.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I guess it didn't come out the way I meant it to. I have no problem restoring headlights in the sun without a cover, in fact I prefer it most of the time. However, exposing your chemicals to bright sunlight and hot temperatures can shorten the shelf life and the time you have to apply it. The lenses can get very hot in direct sunlight which can also cause application problems so my point was that having a cover to work under is not only for rainy days.

We rarely have a problem with excess heat in western Oregon; I just mentioned the sun for those who live in hotter climates where shading your work as well as yourself is desirable.

A lot of our customers restore headlights in temperature below 40 degrees, but we have found that below that temperature you are more likely to experience problems, especially in damp and high humidity environments. That's why we recommend that you warm up the headlights. Based on the facts presented, my guess is that it was moisture and not temperature that caused the problem for candyman.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I restore the vast majority of my HL's outside. I checked the lens today and I found some blurry spots. It had to be a combination of the temp & damp weather. I was planning to redo them today, however the temp stayed in the the mid 40's and we were having showers off and on instead of clear weather as forecasted. During the summer month I do the lens away from the sun. I have very few problems doing HLR outside. Being a mobile service, most of my repairs to include WSR are all out in the open. Some of my detail shops are on the inside, and that comes in handy on rainy days or really hot days in the mid-Atlantic states. Since I've started this business, I had about 2% of my HLR jobs to redo, for various reasons, to include customers touching the lens prior to drying. Thanks for all the replies.
candyman

Post by candyman »

UPDATE! I did a redo on the Volvo yesteday. Sunny and 51 degrees. I stripped The UV I applied with a 600 and 1500 disc. Then polished w/a 3000 pad. I applied 1/4 oz of UV and the WOW was there. The customer was happy and some of his clients were impressed. I picked up his used car dealership, and a few customers he just sold a vehicle to. I got his WSR business also. Yesterday was a good day. Have a great week.