Electric or Pneumatic

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Electric or Pneumatic

Post by Brent Deines »

No problem.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
chips1144

Post by chips1144 »

Deleted post
CMG

Post by CMG »

don't know if you have decided on electric or Pneumatic. In short, electric is less hassle most cost effecient and will do what you need to do however, air is quicker and i feel does a better job. I have both and air is always my favorite but there are some drawbacks. If you go air, you will need something that produces a lot of cfm for 3 inch sander because, they suck lots of air and you won't find that type compressor cheap. I have a small dual pack that i paid about $900.00 for but it does the job each and every time without running out of air. Let me know if i can be of furthur assistance..........
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

I plan to purchase another orbital soon. However, having said that I also plan to look for a used compressor and sander. Iam curious about how much faster and the quality it is.
Thanks for the info.
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

candyman, why go through the expense to buy a air compressor system when you have the elect.. The cost just to get set up with air will take longer to break even AGAIN. These guys using air are most likely set up as a recon service and already have everything, all they needed to buy was the sealer per say...

You will have to buy an air compressor and an air orbit sander when you already have an elct orbit sander at this time, and if you are looking to buy a backup sander it will only cost less than 100.00

On your behave it is not cost effective to start over breaking even.....Profit margin.
I know it will be a new toy to play with...

Just my way of thinking....
Just Chippen Away
mend master

Post by mend master »

Chippen is right on the money on this one in my opinion. Not that we want to sound like your wife or girlfriend or anything! :D Having used both electric and pneumatic, I cannot honestly tell you that you would see a discernable difference in the outcome. I use air primarily because, as Chip said, I've already got it for other recon services. Save your money brother. The bad times are far from over. They may just be beginning.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I have 2 metabos and the old orange orbtal, Both metabos are starting to give me problems. I had considered the fact it is easier to extend a 50ft electric cord than to carry around a compressor and hoses. I was simply curious about the difference in the quality of the lens using a air system. I wasnt planning to buy new. I thought maybe I could find something at a yard sale or a second hand shop that was within reason (my budget). I read somewhere on the forum that I would need to watch for moisture in the lines. That would be a draw back and carring all that equipment around. I've done well with the electric orbitals and they are easy to use. The 180 grit pad has made things better on some of the lenes I encounter. The foam polishing pad doesnt give me the clarity I get when using polish, but the end results after the coating looks the same. I use the polishing pad 2 or 3 times before replacing. I dont know if I should replace each time or not. They hardly look used after one use most of the time. Does anyone else use them more than once?
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

candyman
if you are talking about the 3000 grit foap polishing pad, you should only get one car per disc. you have wore off the grit after that point, Feel the differance, if you can not have your wife feel the differance from a new pad to a used pad...
Just Chippen Away
candyman

Post by candyman »

My wife could feel the difference and I could see the difference when I looked closer. I just cleared out all the used ones and I have about 8 new ones. I will order more when I get the new orbiter. I have 2 new HLR customers to do today. I will check out the difference.
Thanks for the info: The weather here is starting to get back in the 70's so Business should increase. My detail shops tell me business has been down the past few months. The sale of rims & tires, car stereos and deluxe car washing by hand are all down according to them. Normally tax season is good for them as long as the weather is nice. Not so this year.
candyman

Post by candyman »

I ordered the new red/orange orbita sander yesterday. Both my metabos are shot. I open one of them up and the small palstic gear that is turned by a metal gear is worn out. I dont know why they choose to use plastic for something that is turned by metal and has pressure. Does anyone know if that part can be replaced? The motor on the one I open seems fine. The new sander is on sale this week if anyone is interested. Have a good week>