Electric or Pneumatic

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
silverliningdetail

Electric or Pneumatic

Post by silverliningdetail »

We are in the process of adding numerous services to our mobile detailing business, including HLR and WSR. In your experience, which process method and tools (electric or pneumatic) have produced the best results?

Thanks for the advise!

Matt Williams, Founder
Silver Lining Detail, llc
mend master
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Electric or Pneumatic

Post by mend master »

silverliningdetail wrote:We are in the process of adding numerous services to our mobile detailing business, including HLR and WSR. In your experience, which process method and tools (electric or pneumatic) have produced the best results?

Thanks for the advise!

Matt Williams, Founder
Silver Lining Detail, llc
Matt, obviously you don't need either one for wsr. You'll be using a battery powered Dremel-like tool for drilling when necessary, and for polishing the pit filler. I have one Dremel set up with a burr for drilling and one with a polishing head to polish the pit with.

Whichever way you go for addressing headlights, I'd recommend that the tool is a dual action (D/A) sander. Air tools require oiling, a compressor to run them, hose, air/water separator, fittings, still require an electric source unless they are gas engine driven, and you obviously need the space for all this stuff on your rig. I'm also a certified painter, so my compressor is used for more than just HLR. If I were only doing WSR and HLR, I would likely just use an electric tool.

Electrics will eventually eat the brushes, burn up a switch, toast an armature, etc. just like any electric motor. Using one for refinishing work requires keeping the air passages clean so the unit can breath, which will go a long way towards preserving the life of the tool. Try not to plug in where there are already a lot other things plugged in. The more draw from other things, the less available amps for your tool, which will cause it to run hotter than normal and effectively shortening its useful life.

My 2 cents. Hope it was helpful.
mend master

Post by mend master »

The short answer as to which one produces better results, is either tool in capable hands will produce excellent results. Its a case of personal preference rather than one tool being superior to the other.
silverliningdetail

Post by silverliningdetail »

Thanks mend master for your reply. I am deciding between griots 3 in. da or an air-powered pistol grip da (3 in. as well) Again, I appreciate the advise!

Matt
candyman

Post by candyman »

Mend Master: You use a dremel to polish the pit resin after it dries ! I never thought to do that. Does it give a better finish? I checked compressors out this week and I came to the final conclusion. I will stick to my elect orbital sanders. The new version of the orange orbital is less than $100, and its light weight and easy to use. I cleaned both metabos and I will continue to use them untill they stop working. I wasn't aware that by adding the extention that it would void the warranty, until I saw Brent's post. I recharge my battery pack and dremel each week for my WSR kit. I seldom need to drill. I know some techs seem to drill a lot. I am getting better with using my magnifing glass and determining what and where I need to drill. It takes time but iam getting faster doing that also. The new spring hammer comes in handy. I use the end to make sure I have the proper depth and dont always need to pop a mini bull.
mend master

Post by mend master »

I do use a Dremel to polish, and yes I think it looks better, more professional, and is quick and easy to do.
I try not to drill anymore than I have to. There are times when its unavoidable to avoid a crack out, on an especially tight break, or trying to repair someone else's "repair". One trick I use to better hide and fill a drill hole after curing your resin, is to place a needle (I do paint touch up so I have syringes on hand) in the hole, run a drop of pit filler down the needle as you gently extract the needle. Add the remaining amount of pit filler you need, tab, cure, and polish. Its a beautiful thing!
candyman

Post by candyman »

I'll try that the next time I drill. I carry needles with me and syringes. I 'll get a polisher the next time Iam at lowes. I thought I had one in my tool shop.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

This discussion has gotten off topic. Please start a new topic if yo wish to continue with something other than Electric or Pneumatic for headlight restoration. I will then move the last few posts to the new topic.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Sorry about That. I forgot I was in the HLR section.
mend master

Post by mend master »

My apologies as well. Just trying to help.