What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

That glossy finish is after the 3000? You were talking about eliminating the 3000 and finishing with 1200 or 1500 and then compound.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Old Blue 66 wrote:That glossy finish is after the 3000? You were talking about eliminating the 3000 and finishing with 1200 or 1500 and then compound.
Hi Blue,

The glossy finish is after the compound - the hazy finish is after the 3000 pad. (See the last pic in the previous post I made).

To explain - It was a customer's car - small lights, plenty time - I decided to use a 3000 pad and do a quick compare purely to demonstrate to Candy. Although he is happy with the 3000 finish - better results are easily achievable. I thought he may like to see the 3000 next to the compound.

I would normally stop at 1500 on this particular lens - 1200 on others ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Thanks for clarifacation Pommy
Paul Weinstein
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

pommy wrote:
Old Blue 66 wrote:That glossy finish is after the 3000? You were talking about eliminating the 3000 and finishing with 1200 or 1500 and then compound.
Hi Blue,

The glossy finish is after the compound - the hazy finish is after the 3000 pad. (See the last pic in the previous post I made).

To explain - It was a customer's car - small lights, plenty time - I decided to use a 3000 pad and do a quick compare purely to demonstrate to Candy. Although he is happy with the 3000 finish - better results are easily achievable. I thought he may like to see the 3000 next to the compound.

I would normally stop at 1500 on this particular lens - 1200 on others ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
Wow, the compound helps tremendously! We've been moving this week and I just got my internet back at our new house. Great discussions on this compounding issue. What brandcompound are you using to get these great results, Pommy?
pommy

Post by pommy »

It's the GT Glass one Todd ;)

I should have taken the pics on a better lens really - these one's weren't the best example.

Hope the move went ok!

Cheers,

Pommy
candyman

Post by candyman »

They look great Pommy. I will order that compound and borrow a tool from one of my buddies, prior to buying one. You cant argue the difference I see in the photos. You have a good day. My brotherinlaw's mother is from your neck of the world. His father was sent there during WWII and they got marrried She is in her late 80's now . She went back there only 3 times since the 40's to visit family. His dad was a retired Navy Commander. My son was there with the Navy SEALS about 2 years ago. I was there in 1971 with the Marines on R & R from VietNam.
Jn316

Post by Jn316 »

Pommy- I'm a rookie, but have read extensivley the threads, Deltakits tech support is one of the best.

My biggest challenge is getting all the scratches out even with 3000, so I looked into compound, but concerrn over Infinity adhering to lense.

?). What exact compund do you use- http://www.gtglass.com/headlight-restor ... mpound-1oz

?) Why cant the Griot orbitol be used with this.

Regards,

Bruce
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi Bruce,

Welcome ;)

Reading the threads is an awesome way to avoid pitfalls and costly mistakes - and thanks to Delta, we have this great forum to share our experiences!

I'll assume that you are using the Delta HLR kit, so first of all - if you are having problems with sanding scratches being left after the 3000, let's look at that first.

Are they light hazy scratches, or the deep, often pig-tail looking ones?

If they are the pigtail ones, you need to spend more time with the 800 disc. If they are thin lines, more time with the 1200.

I'd try this first before looking into compounds etc. Compounds, as good as they are, they bring expense and some experience is needed also to use them. (Drill, pads, compound etc).

The Griot's machine is a polisher by definition - yes it will sand, but the compounds need very firm pressure to work, (you can't press hard with a Griot's) PLUS more importantly, the rotary action is essential - the random orbital action is not going to grind out those scratches.

I wouldn't even bother trying - I've tried many products that "claim" to work with an orbital, and they do to a certain extent - but never clear and nothing like rotary drill results.

Again, try spending more time with the appropriate disc before you try anything else ;)

Always happy to help, just ask away...

Cheers,

Pommy
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

As mentioned in a previous post it's important to use a drill with a side arm attachment. I found a 1/2" drive Milwaukee t Home Depot yesterday with the arm and it's fairly light weight. I'll report back on how wel it works later

Paul
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

Oldblue let us know how it turns out. I've got 2 impalas to do. Iam saving them for experimenting. I've already done vehicles for both the customers and they were happy. Iam giving them a discount to allow me to try something different. You guys do know that if you discount something you can write that off!