What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: What about when half of the lens is in great shape?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Here ya go guys. This is perfect. It only has about an 850 RMP speed but for using the GT Glass compound, all you need is a slow variable speed. This is the only one I could find with a side arm and it works great. The trigger is ver sensitive so keeping it at the same speed is easy. It worked like a charm on three cars yesterday.

Home Depot for about $110.00. This is a 1/2" drill not a 3/8> I thought it would be heavy but its not at all.

Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

I just located that drill for about $10 more than a orbital. I was surprised to find the cost varied from $10-$40 between dealers. I didnt see it on deltas site:
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I used it all day yesterday. Maybe eight cars. Trimmed my work time by 10 minutes, sanding by two discs and the results were better than I had been getting with traditional method of 1500 and 3000. Some headlights lookked more like glass with this compound and Infinity. Very cool. Hard to tell in this sample but Ill try and get a better pic today.

2002 Santa Fe
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

Old Blue 66! Are you working out of a shopm, street or appointments? the lens looks good that you posted.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:Old Blue 66! Are you working out of a shop, street or appointments? the lens looks good that you posted.
We are 100% mobile. We have over 30 dealers that that we service. Most of which are every week. We also do retail customers at their homes. We also did our first local city festival this past weekend where we set up a booth- brochures, dome tent, signs, had credit card ability standing by and a couple of headlights as samples plus a few giveaways. We did over $700 in sales in two afternoons. I have a pic of the booth but from what I understand, we are not allowed to promote our business here so I wont post a pic.

Here's one from this morning that we did a blend job on. Can you see the lines? 2005 Malibu. Thanks Pommy!!!!!!!!! Did this one in 15 minutes and still charged full price to the dealer. Can you say profit?

Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

WOW - Looks great!

Thanks for posting some feedback too ;)

I'd love to see a pic of the booth you set up - PM me if you get a min and we can figure it out.

It seems as though you have the technique spot on, but in case others are reading - there are a few tips that will lead to a quicker job.

Don't soak the orange pad - mist it, like the lens - too wet and it's 20 more mins cleaning up the mess it flings everywhere.

I don't have the masking on at this point - the action is hard pressure, low rpm - cutting, not polishing.

Compound - A little goes a long way - too much and it "loads" in the centre and will not clear the lens as well.

Have a lovely weekend all ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Thanks guys for the update. I should have the products next week. The extra info Pommy is appreciated. Have a great weekend
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:WOW - Looks great!

Thanks for posting some feedback too ;)

I'd love to see a pic of the booth you set up - PM me if you get a min and we can figure it out.

It seems as though you have the technique spot on, but in case others are reading - there are a few tips that will lead to a quicker job.

Don't soak the orange pad - mist it, like the lens - too wet and it's 20 more mins cleaning up the mess it flings everywhere.

I don't have the masking on at this point - the action is hard pressure, low rpm - cutting, not polishing.

Compound - A little goes a long way - too much and it "loads" in the centre and will not clear the lens as well.

Have a lovely weekend all ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
Your right about " a little goes a long way. It took me a while to figure out that the pad was caked with compound because I was using too much. I went through half a jar already and I shouldnt have.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Oh no!

I should have said, sorry.

A thumb nail sized blob, spread onto it should be enough per side.

Re-misting the pad and the lens with water is important too.

I normally go hard over the whole lens - side handle slightly up, not at the normal right angle. I use my left leg to control the drill.

I'll wipe off after that and check for grey areas and hit them again if there are any.

In this case, slow and steady wins the race ;)

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
ctmandu1

Post by ctmandu1 »

Old Blue 66 wrote:
We also did our first local city festival this past weekend where we set up a booth- brochures, dome tent, signs, had credit card ability standing by and a couple of headlights as samples plus a few giveaways. We did over $700 in sales in two afternoons. I have a pic of the booth but from what I understand, we are not allowed to promote our business here so I wont post a pic.
could you pm me a picture of you booth? it is an idea i had also and would like to see your set up. by the way very nice job on the headlights...