Infinity or C2P? Plus I need advice on sanding technique

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
davidc11291
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Infinity or C2P? Plus I need advice on sanding technique

Post by davidc11291 »

I'm a detailer, and I've recently started doing headlight restoration. I've been using the homemade urethane/solvent type wipe on coating that's easily found on the internet, but as I'm learning more about HLR through forums like this, I realize that I need to step up to a real coating. Using the urethane coating, I hate how tricky the application can be, but I love the fact that it fills in sanding scratches, because frankly, my sanding technique is lousy. It's not for lack of trying. I typically spend 2 hours per set, and that's just the sanding. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I seem to always have tons of tracers that I'm always trying to get out. Plus, when I move up in grits, I can never really tell if I've sanded out all the scratches from the previous grit. I'm using a Makita cordless drill, btw, and about to get a 3" Griot's to hopefully improve my sanding techniques and times. I already use a 6" Griot's for paint polishing in my detailing work. Anyway, without anyone to teach me, I'm just teaching myself through reading online, and trial and error. With my sanding problems, I'm scared to try a water-based coating like Infinity, since it requires a perfect surface.

1. How does C2P compare to the home depot mixture as far as ease of application? Is the application process any easier, or about the same?

2. What would you suggest for learning how to quickly identify what I'm doing wrong in my sanding process and how to correct it?

3. Any other suggestions?
candyman

Re: Infinity or C2P? Plus I need advice on sanding technique

Post by candyman »

Good morning David> Use the Griots 3": Normal set of HL. Start with 320 grit, 600 grit, 1500 then a 3000 polishing disc. Clean the lens prior to using the 1500 and 3000 pad. Clean the lens again prior to using your formula. I dont recommend your product for UV coating. Get a bottle of the 4.1 Infiniti. This formula is less forgiving for a bad prep job of the lenses. Start with a 320, 500 or 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 3000 polishing pad. Again clean lens prior to using the 1500 and 3000. After you finish with the 3000 polishing pad, clean lens again with prep spray. remove tape and clean Vehicle dust from sanding. Now mix an apply your 4.1 infiniti solution (water based). Keep a wet shop towel ready for runs on the bumper. Dont retouch the lens until dried if needed. 4.1 : 4 parts milk solution + 1 part clear. It will dry within a few minutes. Dont touch lens for several hours. Dont wash for 24 - 48 hours. Use gloves to apply. It will stick your fingers together, like finger nail polish when it dries. 4.1 comes with instructions when you order it and a Ml measuring tube for the mix. The results are almost the same each time. WOW factor. I still use the Chem UV coating for certain jobs. This hides defects better. PM me if you need more detailed information.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Normal set of HL. Start with 320 grit, 600 grit, 1500 then a 3000 polishing disc. Clean the lens prior to using the 1500 and 3000 pad.
What do you mean normal set of HL's? How would that be different that using 320 ,500, 800, 1200, 1500 & 3000 on any other type of HL? What level of damage is considered normal?
Paul Weinstein
davidc11291

Post by davidc11291 »

Thanks for the info, candyman!
davidc11291

Post by davidc11291 »

Since Infinity requires more sanding steps, why do you use it instead of C2P?
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi,

I can and will help you mate ;)

Working backwards - C2P is more of a filler than Infinity is, you have to have an almost perfect surface to seal.

C2P is much more forgiving - just like the Spar Urethane is. But that's where it ends on the positive side.

I know people still use it - but I personally think it takes too long to dry, it's messy and "goes off" if not stored properly.

The Infinity has been developed from the ground up as a UV headlight sealant. It is water based and dries in as little as five minutes. It's easy clean up and stays usable once mixed for about an hour of kept in the shade. It's cheap for what it does and does the job just great.

I wasn't a believer at first, I liked the fact that pigtails and small scratches would be hidden by the other methods - but the pros outweigh the cons when you are out in the field working.

It's clear to me that you need to work your preparation technique. 2 hours is too long and to have to use a thicker sealant to cover is not necessary.

So do you use the Delta sequence?

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
RVB
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by RVB »

Does anybody know how long the results would last down in sunny Florida? with the Infinity product?
I have two high-end dealers where I restore headlight for their service dep. I really need something that would hold well for 18 months.
Last edited by RVB on August 4th, 2012, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pommy

Post by pommy »

...it's too new.
RVB
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by RVB »

Thanks Pommy!
pommy

Post by pommy »

No problem - I should have added that I would definitely use the Infinity on it.

I have no doubt about the adherence to the lens, it will not peel - no chance.

I have tested the durability of Infinity in several ways - but the testing of time - takes time ;)

I would personally add another coat for that extra gloss - Infinity "sinks" in a little I find and sometimes (not always) gives a more matt finish when looked at closely.

Cheers,

Pommy