What did I do wrong?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
bobwires
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

What did I do wrong?

Post by bobwires »

Hello all

I've been doing headlight restoration for about a year, and I just had a job come back that was one of my first...... I don't want to see more of this.

I suspect I just didn't put on enough clear, but want to confirm.

I used coat-2-protect, after an up to 3000g sanding.

thanks
Nelson

glassdoctor

Re: What did I do wrong?

Post by glassdoctor »

You probably didn't do anything wrong... although with the the C2P (minwax-like) coating you are better off NOT sanding down to 3000. Stop around 1200-1500 so it has more adhesion bite, and it may not peel off in huge areas so much.

I think it's just what you can expect with spar varnish, at least with cars that are subjected to common things like pressure car washes. But to be fair, I've even been able to replicate similar failure in some cases with far superior coatings(uv cured urethanes and 2k clears), if tortured with water at 3000psi point blank. But there is no comparison between the wood varnish types and 2 part or uv cured types.

IMO, if you haven't already done so, immediately switch to Infinity 4.1 and throw away the C2p.
candyman

Post by candyman »

This is what I experienced the first year with about 6% of the vehicles. Humidity, temp, ect... has a role with this. Also sometimes the owners use products on the headlight that affect the coating. I stopped using the polish and it was recommend that we use the 3000 foam polishing pad instead. Iam also using Infiniti 4.1 now for the majority of my restorations. Sand it back down and reapply your coating when you get soemthing like this. I no longer give guarantees with my HLR. Some owners dont takle care of their vehicles or may use polishers or car waxes on the lights when they are detailed by them or a shop. I simply tell the customer they should have this done as needed. Some lights will last several years while others may need t after a year. Acid rain, driving in heavy traffic, road & insect chemicals are just some of the things that will cause the lenses to need restoration sooner.
pommy

Post by pommy »

That's a close up power washer - for sure.

If that happened a small bit first, they would have brought it back, not waited for that much to come off!

That all came off at the same time.

Regardless of that, sand it back to perhaps 800 in the sequence you use, and apply Infinity instead. (You can't stop around 1200/1500 with it though, like the C2P)

Got to keep the customer happy ;)

Cheers,

Pommy

P.S - Was it BOTH sides or just the one you show in the pics?
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
bobwires

Post by bobwires »

Both sides.

The pressure washing was probably my fault. Not me personally, but my employees. We do a lot of detailing, and I know we washed this car a few months back. Must not have complained right away. Maybe she didn't notice.....

I'll definitely get on the Infinity system.

thanks
pommy

Post by pommy »

I've pressure washed my headlights at least 20 times.

Still perfect.

They were done with Infinity ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
bobwires

Post by bobwires »

that's what I needed to know.

thanks Pommy
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

Looks like headlights were pressure washed. I've seen this before. Easiest solution would be to use Infinity. Can't be removed with high pressure spray after 3 days. Tried it.
ray6
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Same here. Used a pressure washer on my car which has Infinity and no issues. Make the switch
Paul Weinstein
ajaybutler

Post by ajaybutler »

The Infinity left my work kind of cloudy. Tell me what difference have you seen in infinity vs c2p.