Need some advice!

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
newheadlites

Re: Need some advice!

Post by newheadlites »

Got it ,Thanks Old Blue...
Murph
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by Murph »

I thought that adding some polishing compound before doing the 4.1 coat would be detrimental to the coating.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Murph wrote:I thought that adding some polishing compound before doing the 4.1 coat would be detrimental to the coating.
Curious as to why you would think that??

The idea here is to get as much shine out of the lens that you can before you apply the 4.1. IMO opinion you'll never get the finish of a new lens ending with 3000. All we do are HLR's and we use the compound after all sanding is complete. Using the compound allows you to do other things like blending old clear and new as discussed in another recent thread.
Paul Weinstein
Murph

Post by Murph »

Old Blue 66 wrote:
Murph wrote:I thought that adding some polishing compound before doing the 4.1 coat would be detrimental to the coating.
Curious as to why you would think that??

The idea here is to get as much shine out of the lens that you can before you apply the 4.1. IMO opinion you'll never get the finish of a new lens ending with 3000. All we do are HLR's and we use the compound after all sanding is complete. Using the compound allows you to do other things like blending old clear and new as discussed in another recent thread.
I had heard that if you did not clean off the compound with denatured alcohol, it wouldnt let the coating set and would compromise the coating.

After you compound, do you clean off the lens with denatured alcohol?
Murph

Post by Murph »

I meant to add that if you did not clean off the lens COMPLETELY. Sorry
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Yes I do. We buy it in small spray bottles. It isn't cheap.

Heres a recent thread about it

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6750

Heres what i buy and yes its 99.6%. anything less than that still has water and defeats the purpose.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mg-Chemicals-82 ... 0777778769
Paul Weinstein
Murph

Post by Murph »

I think that I will pick up some of that. The place that sells it is about 75 miles from me and shipping is 12 bucks! That is bogus!
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Murph wrote:I think that I will pick up some of that. The place that sells it is about 75 miles from me and shipping is 12 bucks! That is bogus!
If it means anything, they combine shipping whit multiple bottles. I bought six and I thing the shipping was $15 total. Buy a quantity and save yourself the gas.
Paul Weinstein
Murph

Post by Murph »

Old Blue 66 wrote:
Murph wrote:I think that I will pick up some of that. The place that sells it is about 75 miles from me and shipping is 12 bucks! That is bogus!
If it means anything, they combine shipping whit multiple bottles. I bought six and I thing the shipping was $15 total. Buy a quantity and save yourself the gas.
I wouldnt drive there. I just wish that the shipping gouging on eBay would stop.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Huck...

Your Q1 seems to be about heat build up caused by trying to get through the OEM? The problem is that you are using a rotary drill as your tool. It's very common to melt the plastic into little brown patches, which then require more sanding to remove. It's due to the rotary action of the drill.

Wet sanding will ease the problem, only a little - but it will cause more mess and less control of your drill.

Switch to the Griot's for sanding, it will not happen anymore.

Keep the drill and use it for the final polish before wiping down with alcohol and applying the Infinity 4.1 ;)

Q2

The rechargeable AC Delco was my toy, as was the Makita and quite a few others! The Griot's, with the right sequence and technique will prove successful.

Best of luck Huck! (That really wasn't intended to rhyme!)

Old Blue 66...
Quite right! And I'm glad to see you are still going with the compound ;) And I imagine you are using a whole lot LESS than when we first spoke of it!

And the alcohol - seemed to work out too? Good to hear.

Have a great day all,

Pommy!
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.