Soft interface pad

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Soft interface pad

Post by Old Blue 66 »

These are supposed to be made in Germany. Not sure if that helps with quality or not but when I talked to the rep, he was familiar with the 3M version and claims he sells a lot of these. Was I being sold by a salesman? We'll see. I ordered just one and we'll try it out over the next few days. The quality of the foam feels stronger than he 3M for starters.

My review will follow.
Last edited by Kgobin on February 7th, 2013, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

[quote="Old Blue 66"]These are supposed to be made in Germany. Not sure if that helps with quality or not but when I talked to the rep, he was familiar with the 3M version and claims he sells a lot of these. Was I being sold by a salesman? We'll see. I ordered just one and we'll try it out over the next few days. The quality of the foam feels stronger than he 3M for starters.

My review will follow.

I put the disc on this one and its more like 3 1/4" than 3. Too big. Back to the drawing board. I think Im going to try and have my own made.
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:Hi all,

My local foam supplier can easily make them - hook and loop one side, fluff the other.

Then you choose the density of the foam. He will even press them out for me by the dozen etc. from a sheet he glues up.

Find a foam supplier in your area, take a sample. Done.

Or...

Don't use them. I don't.

See my post in this thread:

Code: Select all

http://www.windshield-repair-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7030
For the record, T4K is spot on - The "pinching" under pressure when the tool is held on an angle is the cause of the product to fail. (It's the odd shaped lights that ruin them quickly).

Cheers,

Pommy!
How would I search for that on Google? I dont even know what I would put in the search terms.
Paul Weinstein
blemon56

Post by blemon56 »

Old Blue... drillspot.com appears to have a variety of interface options.

I've only done 2 HLR jobs with the new pad.... So far so good.
ChipMech
WCR & HLR
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

Although I have not used it yet, I just received a interface pad from Glass Technologies. It cost $11
My first impression is that it is very rugged and just feels more tough. I can see where this will last longer as well as perform better. Little bit thicker foam and also denser. I'll add another post when I get a chance to use it.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

LightMeUp wrote:Although I have not used it yet, I just received a interface pad from Glass Technologies. It cost $11
My first impression is that it is very rugged and just feels more tough. I can see where this will last longer as well as perform better. Little bit thicker foam and also denser. I'll add another post when I get a chance to use it.
When I was in trial period before we started business, I used one of those. I didnt like them.

I do need to make a shout out for the pads I bought from our host. Decent quality and one of the few I can find without the holes in the middle. They seem to last just a bit longer.
Paul Weinstein
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

Thanks for the tip. I have used several magu***s pads and found them to break up pretty quick, especially on the lenses that had unusual shapes. I have a few 3M's coming and have not tried them yet. But I will have to pick up a few Deltas to keep in the kit.

What was it about the GT's you did not care for?
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I remember, they were too dense. They didn't give in to the curve of the lens as I would have liked.

The 3M pads were junk. If they were the ones with the holes in the middle that is. They just deteriorated way to fast for a $5 pad. I know they make or used to make the ones without the holes but I cant find them. Try the pads from our host.
Paul Weinstein
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

I just did a job and I must agree. It was firmer, and I would have to back off just a bit to get the same surface pressure as the other pad. I'll keep it in my kit for lights that do not have much curvature in them. I do like the fact though that they held up considerably better then the Maguires. To bad I have (5) 3M pads coming. They sound like dogs, but I guess that can hold me over until I order and get the Deltas.
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

Holy smokes, you guys were not kidding about the 3M ones. Just got them in the mail yesterday. Flimsy, cheap, way to soft and I can tell where these would last for about one job. To be perfectly honest, I am apprehensive about using them to begin with.

Definitely ordering some from Delta today. Any guesses as to how many pairs of headlights you can stretch them out for?