Dust accumulation on sanding disc's

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
LightMeUp
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Dust accumulation on sanding disc's

Post by LightMeUp »

Hey everybody,

Been using my new DA and 4.1 and I must say that what an exceptional system. Several cars and several "wow's" later.

Here is the question I have. Is there any way to minimize the buildup of dry sanding material on the disc? I find myself having to slap and scratch them often to clean them.

I am using a Griots 3" sander with stock backing plate, Meguires foam interface pad and INDASA Redline Rhynogrip sanding disc's.

Thanks for your suggestions.
candyman

Re: Dust accumulation on sanding disc's

Post by candyman »

When you have a lot of powder on the disc, you are getting a lot of the crud off the lens. I dont know of any other way than what you described. Iam in my 4th year and I do the same. I do use a different method for hard to remove coatings now, but I wet the lens and use a 3" sander. I use another types of disc instead of DK and Its a time saver for those hard to do lenses. Good luck.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Be very careful of pig tails when you have build up on your pads. They can be hard to remove if they are produced with your more aggressive pads. You can do everything you need to do with your DK kit. Just take your time,clean the lens and inspect frequently.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

What you have is a standard issue. Like whats been said, you have to be careful because that's when pigtails form. They are tough to get out as you progresses throughout your sanding stages.

This may be a bit unsafe, but to save time, I take the Griot's while its running, and take a corner of a rag and run it on the sander starting at the center and work out. Its takes 10 seconds and your back to work.
Paul Weinstein
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

Those pigtails are exactly the reason for the question. I have been learning very quickly to keep that disc clean otherwise I have found myself having to backtrack to the prior grit to remove them. That lesson did not last very long fortunately. Thank you for the suggestions everyone.
candyman

Post by candyman »

Ensure you wipe down the lenses between pads. I use a dry, blue, shop towel. Prior to using the 1500 pad I use a wet, blue, shop towel to wipe the lens. That helps a great deal. Prior to applying the 4.1 UV coating I wipe with Clearspray, regardless of which method Iam using. HLR request are starting to pick up. For you new techs, Spring is the time of year that people want to clean their vehicles up. The daylight is longer and people want to get out of the house and go places. Just a thought.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

I hope you guys that are dry sanding are using a good respirator mask.
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

Thanks for the reminder about the respirator mask. I could tell in my throat from the last job that I need to get one.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

candyman wrote:Ensure you wipe down the lenses between pads. I use a dry, blue, shop towel. Prior to using the 1500 pad I use a wet, blue, shop towel to wipe the lens. That helps a great deal. Prior to applying the 4.1 UV coating I wipe with Clearspray, regardless of which method Iam using. HLR request are starting to pick up. For you new techs, Spring is the time of year that people want to clean their vehicles up. The daylight is longer and people want to get out of the house and go places. Just a thought.
You bet!! I saw that coming and Ive invested money to make sure people find us on the web. Trade ins at dealers are picking up for us too.

Back to subject......Keeping your disc clean is super important BUT don't forget about a very common mistake - pushing down on the sander too hard and keeping the sander flat on the lens. make sure its not on an angle.
Paul Weinstein
LightMeUp

Post by LightMeUp »

The best is always the obvious, quickest and cheap. Thought of it while staring at my pants. Go figure.

I would spin the disc for a second on my blue jeans then wipe it on the same. More frequently and the process ultimately being shorter. Made the whole days difference and the pads would not wear out as quick.