Wholesale accounts

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
LightMeUp
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Wholesale accounts

Post by LightMeUp »

Other then car dealerships, has anybody had any luck getting other types of wholesale accounts? Such as used car rentals, government vehicles, delivery vehicles, law enforcement cars, etc?

If so, how did you do it? Any recommendations as to what may be a good road to start on?

Retail jobs are tough and the competition is really squeezing the price down to a ridiculous $20-$25 at the used car dealerships.
And some of those are doing it with the same method. No buff, full resurfacing with a hard coat of UV.

Good lord! How can one compete against that? Just looking for other ideas to get some business that may have several vehicles. Getting 1-2 a day at that price is pretty frustrating. I have a some sales background and have
no problem meeting new lot owners to get their business. Fortunately I understand the numbers game and the rejections do not discourage me at all.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Wholesale accounts

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Get out and put your salesman's hat on and scout out fleet/commercial vehicles. I hired a sales rep just recently because I see way too many Freightliners, Volvos and Macks on the road with HL's in terrible condition. They all know about the challenge with plastic HL's and are no stranger to paying to replace them at $300 per pop. If they are willing to pay $600/set, then they will certainly pay AT LEAST $100 to refinish them. Keep in mind that trucks are subject to inspection and run the risk of failing, the owners buy more replacement HL's than passenger car owners and when you present this solution tot hem, they are very receptive.

We are just starting to get a few new accounts and whats nice is that its an ongoing process because most of their trucks are on the road every day. I have one account that gave us an order for 13 trucks at a premium price ($150 per set). We stop by there once a week and do a couple at a time. If you keep your pipeline full with accounts like that, you'll make some serious coin and stay busy.

Beware - there are two headlights that require a ton of lobar. One is the big square Volvo HL and the other is a big Freightliner HL. You need to make sure you charge accordingly because of the labor involved.

While there are at least three different Freightliner HL's out there, Freightliner seems to be the most notorious for this problem. See pics we recently did below.

I could write a whole book on what we've learned about the trucking industry and what are the best prospects.

Paul Weinstein