Removing a coat of 4.1

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
LightMeUp
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Removing a coat of 4.1

Post by LightMeUp »

I have not had to do this yet, but in the event I ever need to, what is the best grit to start with if I need to touch up an old job and remove the 4.1?
candyman

Re: Removing a coat of 4.1

Post by candyman »

If its cloudy use a 320 disc. When you say touch up Iam thinking slightly discolored, yet clear. If the lens is cloudy or peeling it needs resanding , you should keep it uniform. Then apply the 4.1; Ive done some with just a orange polishing pad & wax, followed by Prep-spray Then the 4.1 Use your judgement.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

NO NO NO !!!

Infinity comes off too easily!!! Which is a good thing. Ive had to do it twice. Start with 1200 and move forward. 1200 does a great job of taking off the 4.1. Then just follow the normal steps.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Old Blue 66 wrote:NO NO NO !!!

Infinity comes off too easily!!! Which is a good thing. Ive had to do it twice. Start with 1200 and move forward. 1200 does a great job of taking off the 4.1. Then just follow the normal steps.
320 is super harsh. I agree.

It does depend on the actual time the Infinity has been allowed to cure for though Paul ;)

Few mins, up to a few hours - take it off with 1200 - but try to get it off the next day with 1200? - you'll be using a lot of discs!

That said, 500 would be the lowest for Infinity, it's way, way wayyyyy thinnner than the OEM coating.

Jingle Bells - Jingle Bells... Jingle all the waaaaay :-)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.