coating failed after car wash!?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: coating failed after car wash!?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Ive been in this business about a year an a half now (my how time flies). We mostly do dealer work. Do yo know how the dealers wash the cars on the lot? Guys with big trucks with pressure washers and they just walk up and down the rows washing the cars. I have yet to have any challenges with coatings coming off.

Ive said this here before, and Ill say it again. I think some plastics used by some car manufactures are different and the coatings react differently. JMO.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

I agree with old blue. I have several clients that use pressure washing on their vehicles and the lights still look good. I've done others and the coating came off very first pressure wash. I also think it depends on the chemicals being used at the car wash or detail shop mixed with the sprayer. I did a Lincoln Limo and a Z71 this morning. I told the owner never use a wand to clean the headlights and to allow 48 hours to dry prior to washing it. Dont touch lens for 4-6 hours. Use only soap and water to clean the lens, and to do it often. This has worked for me for the past 3 years, and reduced the do-overs I was experiencing the first few years I started this. I've looked at some of the Vehicles from back then and I believe it was pressure washing, not the Clear2Coat that was failng during the high heat we were having.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Old Blue 66 wrote:Ive been in this business about a year an a half now (my how time flies). We mostly do dealer work. Do yo know how the dealers wash the cars on the lot? Guys with big trucks with pressure washers and they just walk up and down the rows washing the cars. I have yet to have any challenges with coatings coming off.

Ive said this here before, and Ill say it again. I think some plastics used by some car manufactures are different and the coatings react differently. JMO.
Do you use an applied coating?
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

I understand what you guys are saying and we haven't had any problems with the 4.1 coming off either. When properly applied it will withstand considerable abuse. However, if someone decided to use a super high pressure tip and put it right up against the lens it could be a problem. I just prefer to err on the side of caution when it comes to instructing my customers.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

t4k wrote:
Old Blue 66 wrote:Ive been in this business about a year an a half now (my how time flies). We mostly do dealer work. Do yo know how the dealers wash the cars on the lot? Guys with big trucks with pressure washers and they just walk up and down the rows washing the cars. I have yet to have any challenges with coatings coming off.

Do you use an applied coating?
I use the Infinity 4.1 from our host. After trying a few other clears on the market, its hands down the best you can get.
Paul Weinstein
Wayneious

Post by Wayneious »

J.glass wrote:So i seriously have to tell a customer not to pressure wash the headlights?
Why not?

We are told all the time; 'slippery when wet' when walking on a floor.

I think for good business practice you advise the client off the bat that you are removing the factory clear and replacing it and with that there are some new guideline you need to follow for proper maintenance of the product, 1 being you no longer can blast the hell out of the lights at 2000 PSI.

and with a Range Rover Sport starting at 63k or the big boy Range Rover at 84k why is anyone blasting it with a high pressure washer anyways?

Myself I'd want it washed in angel spit and dried off with a chamois made from the leather of a kangaroo pouch.

I think if you set the client up for what they need to know off the bat, them then decide.

If they still want the service you are simply protecting yourself from a lawsuit and defamation of business character where you will lose no matter if you win because they will still bad mouth you and someone from some where will post a review about the service they received and sooner or later it will be reviewed.

Maybe thats just me...
"Success is my duty, responsibility and obligation to myself" - Grant Cardone
glassdoctor

Post by glassdoctor »

I agree 100% with J.glass. It's embarrassing to explain that your professional restoration is so delicate...nothing like the factory oem product.
edit: btw, it's embarrassing also if your restoration doesn't last due to other things... fading in a short time, streaks, etc. Things can go wrong with other products and processes also, not just varnish-based coatings.

Using a pressure washer as part of a car wash routine is very common, even for professional detailers. It's the perfect touchless pre-rinse (prior to using angel spit) and of course for post wash rinse(after spit), etc. Then you use a blower to dry the car, not a leather rag btw.

It doesn't take an industrial washer and an idiot to damage varnish. Any consumer wimpy washer will work, if you get close... such as when trying to wash off bugs. It's a normal use of a washer and has never been a problem for me in 20 years using them... until the spar varnish on headlights idea. So why keep using a product that can be ruined so easily? On top of that, this stuff normally doesn't last very long either. Consider it a bonus if it lasts more than 12 months. There are a few claims of around 2 years and still looking good, but the common report is more like 6-12 months before fading, for cars that are outside in the elements 24/7. That's bad business IMO.

Especially when it's so easy to simply use a better coating, like Delta's own Infinity. Seems like a slam dunk to me. Why even sell (or buy) the spar varnish makes no sense. Just use Infinity 4.1 coating.
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi all ;)

I've gone SUPER hard against Infinity with a high-pressure washer, more than once - it won't come off. Period.

I challenge anybody to get it off that way once it's cured?

If prepped and applied correctly, the Infinity bonds deeply into the polycarbonate - once cured, even dragging a flat bladed screwdriver will not make it flake off. (Unlike ALL others I've tested).

I will say, I ALWAYS use two coats of Infinity - every time.

My advice? Stop using the old product = stop worrying ;)

@Brent...

"I've had a number of guys tell me they can get a motorcycle crystal clear but I have yet to see it done"

I've done many, many visors, boat screens and even some fairground spaceships with bubble screens!

Happy Christmas to all ;)
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.