Very surprised by BMW

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Very surprised by BMW

Post by Old Blue 66 »

We all know BMW's are the some of the biggest culprits when it comes to HLR. We do an awful lot of them.

I had one of my BMW dealers call me the other day. He had a 2013 X5 that was purchased at auction that had some scratches in the drivers side HL. They were light and only on the very top of the surface but the whole HL needed to be refinished. Now most of the BMW's that we work on are 2005ish. This was eight years newer and the clear was just as easy to take off then any other HL Ive ever done. I would have thought that with all the technology they build in BMW's and possibly knowing the challenges some of their older cars have with foggy HL's, they would have gone to something more durable in eight years. Not the case.

Good new for us!!!

Last summer I did a HLR on a 2013 Accord. It was a new car demo unit with 4500 miles that had a lot of road rash. The buyer wanted it fixed. The clear came off like it was barely even there.

More good news for us!
Paul Weinstein
mrchips1952
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Very surprised by BMW

Post by mrchips1952 »

I also found that most BMW headlight lenses are not sealed or glued to the opaque housing. They are simply held in place with clips against a rubber gasket. This allows them to be carefully removed, and the inside of the housings cleaned and reinstalled. The clips are fairly fragile, and I used a pair of tweezers and a utility knife blade to loosen the clips. My client had moisture inside as well as surface pitting. The surface was easy to restore and the results were very satisfactory.
Let us improve your driving outlook!
mrchips1952