12 volt power converters ???

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
kevinsoupy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: 12 volt power converters ???

Post by kevinsoupy »

Thanks Brent. I am using a car so my trunk doesn't really hold a generator that easy. That's why I am asking about power inverters. Also some of the parking decks I go to don't like when you make too much noise. The generator seems to add a lot of noise and I don't want to be stopped from going into the parking decks.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Best to use a dual battery setup if at all possible.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

Thanks again. Definitely going to use a dual battery set up. I did go ahead and purchase a small inverter for now. I am getting everything I need to install a bigger inverter and marine battery. I did get a little worried because I tested my smaller inverter all day one day and just a couple days later under normal plug in power at a dealership my Groits buffer suddenly died. I had concerns that maybe my inverter messed it up somehow but I am thinking that it was just time. I have done a few hundred set of headlights with it so it may have just worn out. I was just surprised because I had no warning.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

What is the continuous power output rating on your inverter? A lot of people buy inverters based on the peak power output but the continuous power rating is what you need to look at and in this case more is better than less. Operating a power tool with to low of input power can burn up the motor.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

Sorry for the delay. I ended up in the hospital for a few days and just now getting around again. The inverter I am using now is 750 watt continuous and 1500 peak power.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

There are a number of other windshield repair forum members who use 750W inverters and if I remember correctly in our testing that proved to be enough power so I would think you would be okay with that. However, your inverter is only as good as the power source it is connected to so if the battery becomes low on power or there is a faulty connection that can cause problems as well. Hard wiring the inverter and leaving the vehicle running is best of course but not always practical.

Or it may be as you said that it was just the old Griot's time. Did you check the brushes? That is the most common cause of failure with the Griot's tool. Thankfully it is an easy and inexpensive fix if that turns out to be the problem.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.