Sanding discs

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
graham
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Sanding discs

Post by graham »

Hi guys

Done my first fews HLRs this week...excellent results thanks to excellent DK equipment.

How many times can you use the same disc for? Guessing the coarser ones for longer than the finer ones? Or is it best to just use new sets for each job?

Thanks
candyman

Re: Sanding discs

Post by candyman »

Good morning. I normally use the disc once per set of headlights, except for the 3000 foam polishing pad. I use the used ones sometimes on headlights that might require additional pads.
graham

Post by graham »

Yes I thought that was about right. Really when you think of trying to save a quid its probably not worth it as you could end up wasting more TIME trying to use a worn disc.

Results are perfect with new ones so I will stick to that.

Thanks
candyman

Post by candyman »

When you finish a set, normally the 320,500, 800, have dust build up or bumps on them. They can create a problem or cause swirls when used on another set of HLs. Those dust bumps can burn into the HL if not cautious, requiring additional sanding to remove them.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

Do every job to your best ability. Reusing old pads is not the way to make happy customers. The cost of the pad is negligible to the overall cost.

The swirl marks mentioned above are called pig tails and they are hard to remove and very time consuming.

Just my opinion...
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I learned this years ago when sanding wood and the same applies here. Using a worn out disc will cost you time and money every time.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Old thread but........... I get about seven cars out a of a 3000 pad. They are meant for more than one car. I picked that up from a paiint guy who has a bunch of used foam pads laying around. He reuses them unil they loose shape. They work for me.

I also keep a box for used discs (500-1500). We all have cars that only need one HL done. This is good for the next car that needs one HL done.
Paul Weinstein
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

To each his own if that works for you but I find just the opposite to be true for me. If a headlight lens is not clearing up as well as I would like and I'm confident I have done all the previous sanding steps properly I'll switch to a new 3000 polishing pad. Every single time there is improvement. I also don't save used sanding discs as I find the extra time it takes costs me more in labor cost than a new disc and if a disc is not cutting as well as I think it should I'll put on a new one.

I also know a number of body shop owners and I don't know any of them who re-use sanding discs. If anything, they change them sooner than I do.

Want to buy my lightly used discs? :D
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k

Post by t4k »

Brent Deines wrote:To each his own if that works for you but I find just the opposite to be true for me. If a headlight lens is not clearing up as well as I would like and I'm confident I have done all the previous sanding steps properly I'll switch to a new 3000 polishing pad. Every single time there is improvement. I also don't save used sanding discs as I find the extra time it takes costs me more in labor cost than a new disc and if a disc is not cutting as well as I think it should I'll put on a new one.

I also know a number of body shop owners and I don't know any of them who re-use sanding discs. If anything, they change them sooner than I do.

Want to buy my lightly used discs? :D
I agree 100% with all of the above!

The cost of the discs are the smaller part of the overall job for me.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Guys, Im talking about the 3000 discs at $1.00 a piece. If your using them for just one car, your throwing money out the window. Those pads are intended for more than just one use.

As a matter of fact, Im going to go as far as this: I dont like when I have to use a new one. It doesnt leave the lens as clear and sort of gray looking. One thats been used a couple of times works much better. Heres an example of a HL that I did that I know had a well used 3000 pad. I know it because while I was in the field, I thought I had more with me but had to use a well worn one and was surprised how lucky I was that they came out looking good.

Paul Weinstein