SANDING WRONG ?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
kelvinyz86
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

SANDING WRONG ?

Post by kelvinyz86 »

Hi everyone,
i am new to this forum, currently i am using infinity 4.1,
i sand it down by 500grit with griot grarge 3" follow down by 800 grit then 1000 grit then 3000 grit. follow on i use GT compound to polish but i will see the swirl mark and pigtail. how can i remove those swirl and pigtail before apply infinity 4.1 Can make it like flawless? 95 % new? i am sorry that i had some english error, forgive me.

Another question ,
today i apply infinty 4.1 coating i saw the headlight have some line on it. any way to prevent it ?
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: SANDING WRONG ?

Post by Old Blue 66 »

First, you are using the wrong sanding method. For a basic headlight restoration, the sanding procedure as a "newbie" should be 320, 500, 800, 1200,1500 & 3000. Many times, you can use just the 500 to remove the old clear but some cars require 320. When you get more experience under your belt, you will learn what cars yo can change the sanding procedure on. But for now the above is whats recommend.

Second, the pig tails come from clogged discs. The clogs sometimes happen when you push down on the sander too hard. One disc should complete one set of headlights. The pigtails are from the little dots of clumped up dust on the disc. If yo cant wipe them off the disc with a rag, than start a new disc. The current sanding disc is the only one that will completely remove the pigtails so you need to get this right for a professional restored look.

Can you post a pic of the swirl marks? Not sure what that might be coming from. I dont get them.
Paul Weinstein