question about the delta headlight restoration kit

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
909mikea
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

question about the delta headlight restoration kit

Post by 909mikea »

I'm interested in adding headlight restoration to my windshield repair business. I have read reviews on different systems and have decided to go with deltas kit. My questin is, can I use a different rotary tool with the system or do I have to use the random orbital. I have a flex orbital that I use for scratch removal and wanted to know if that will work. It's max RPM is 3800. Also if anybody has used a different tool how did the headlights turn out. Any feedback would be great, thanks.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: question about the delta headlight restoration kit

Post by Brent Deines »

Which Flex tool do you have?

The Flex 3401 is a great tool. The only problem I have with it is the size. Not only is the tool larger but if I remember correctly the backing plate cannot be changed to a 3", which in my opinion is preferable for headlight restoration because it will get into tight and odd contours better than 6" backing plate. The 3401 does have a 4" backing plate option but it is expensive.

The Flex PE8 is also a great tool and the size of the tool is more suited to headlight restoration. The PE8 also allows you to use 3", 2" and even 1" backing plates so you can get into very tight corners. It also has a backing plate extension that allows you to get the tool a bit further away from the surface of the lens which is handy in some cases. The only problem with the PE is that it is not random orbit. That means it is great for polishing with a liquid polish but more difficult to use for sanding. On metal or other hard surfaces you would typically use a standard rotary tool for sanding and a random orbital tool for final polishing but for soft surfaces like polycarbonate we have found just the opposite to be true. It is very easy to gouge or burn a headlight lens with a rotary tool. Some people have the skill to use standard rotary for everything but for most the random orbit tool is better for sanding.

All the other Flex tools are larger and not so good for headlight restoration as far as I know.

I use the Griot's 3" random orbit for sanding and the Makita PV7001C when using liquid polishes. The Makita is a vertical polisher which I like but it is heavier than the PE8 so that is just a matter of preference. If you have the PE8 you won't need the Makita but I think you will still find the Griot's 3" has it's place. If you have any of the other Flex tools I think you will definitely want the Griot's tool.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
909mikea
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: question about the delta headlight restoration kit

Post by 909mikea »

Brent thank you very much for your advice. I think I'm going to go with the package that includes the griot's. I have the flex 3403, and I think you're right about it not having a 3 inch backing plate option.