How to prep headlights when a Bullbar is fitted

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Aussie lights
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

How to prep headlights when a Bullbar is fitted

Post by Aussie lights »

Hi everyone , I'm just enquiring what everyone does when the vehicle is fitted with a bullbar and you can't fit the groits orbital sander to prep the headlights? I use the infinity 4.1 but notice if you have any scratches in the headlight they are noticeable, i tried wet sanding to 2000 and hand polishing to get scratched out but you can still see them after applying the infinity 4.1.
In Australia we do have a product similar to c2p but has to be cured by uv and isn't as user friendly as the infinity 4.1. Is there any helpful hints anyone can give. I'm only mobile so i don't wont to be at the job longer then I have to be. Time is money.
Thanks.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: How to prep headlights when a Bullbar is fitted

Post by Brent Deines »

The bullbars can be a real pain to work around. I have a 3" air sander and a 3" air polisher that are about the size of die grinders that will fit in slightly tighter spots than the Griot's 3" tool but in some cases removing the bar is the only way to get clear access to the headlight lenses.

Using the Griot's tool we dry polish using a 3000 grit pad, after dry sanding with 320, 500, 800, 1200 & 1500 grit sanding discs prior to coating the headlights. That usually does the trick but if it doesn't we use a polish and a foam pad with a Makita rotary bufferhttp://www.deltakits.com/shopping/headl ... v-polisher to remove any extra fine scratches and bring out the luster in the headlight lens. This is especially helpful if one light has been replaced and you need to make the other side match the "new" light. We use Delta Kits Premium Polishing Compound for this step when necessary. http://www.deltakits.com/shopping/headl ... ound-24-oz

The Makita is expensive but it is by far the best tool I have found for polishing with a liquid polish and a foam pad Unfortunately we do not have access to a 240v version of this tool.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.