Delta HLR forum

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
kevinsoupy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Delta HLR forum

Post by kevinsoupy »

Restoring is a little harder for me. I haven't done manual labor in over 20 years so I am having to get the feel of it and also get the old muscles working again. So far the selling is the easy part in my area.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

You should do well then. A little more practice and I think you'll feel very comfortable with the Headlight restoration process but although you can teach a good salesman to be better it is nearly impossible to teach someone who is uncomfortable with sales to enjoy it and if you don't enjoy it's pretty difficult to be good at it. Most people struggle with the sales end so I think you have a leg up on others who are just getting started.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
kevinsoupy

Post by kevinsoupy »

Thanks Brent. Once I can get a couple days without rain I will be working again. I have been using my time to get my privilege license that dealers require in NC so even though I haven't been able to do much more in HLR itself I have been productive. I made a commitment to change my career because I have a young son that needs his dad. I have spent over 20 years selling cars so it is a huge adjustment but I am determined to be able to spend time raising my son while still financially providing.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I admire your priorities. We're here to help any way we can.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Rev

Post by Rev »

I am a retired minister that now travels to help out small churches across the country and I am looking at starting a headlight restoration business to offset my retirement and travel cost. I have purchased the Infinity 4.1 product and have been hand sanding HLs in a friend wrecking yard to get my skill levels and trust factor up to where I feel comfortable. So yes Brent any advice DK can help us young guys at least in the HLR biz could be wonderful. Old Blue 66 any advice you could give me on working with school bus fleet owners would be a God sent.

Old Blue 66 wrote:Just a quick thing to think about- and to anyone who is reading this. In the transportation industry regarding school buses, you have basically three customers.

School District #1 Leases all their buses - not a good candidate for HLR as the turnover is generally three to four years.

School District #2 subs out to a transportation company - It is possible to get into these companies but its much harder. The payoff could be life changing though.

School District #3 owns their fleet - BINGO! The typical life expectancy for a single bus in a fleet could be anywhere from 10 - 15 years. The school district has their own repair facility and the shop foreman knows of this issue. 9 times out of 10 they dont know what to do about HL's in bad condition and they dont want to spend $500 for a set (which is the typical cost of an International HL). So they let them be. Typically I see that half their fleet needs help.

When you present #3 with a solution at $150 per bus and slap a 5 year warranty on HLR service with a double coat of Delta's Infinity and a bi annual inspection, you've got a customer for life. Its a win-win for both parties.

If you are serious about HLR, have decent selling skills and your restoration technique is down pat, Id be happy to share my experience with a little bit of coaching. Theres money to be made out there.

Let There Be Light :roll:
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

Hi Rev, welcome to the windshield repair forum. I try to answer any specific questions that I can on the forum but if you prefer a conversation please don't hesitate to call me.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Rev

Post by Rev »

Old Blue, your working school bus garages makes good sense. With in a 30 mile radius their 4 bus garages that range in size from 111 to 412 buses that are own by the school district. Could you tell me more your warranty and working them has been like?

RevRand
Let There Be Light :roll: