Marketing Strategies for Startup

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
HW Miles
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Marketing Strategies for Startup

Post by HW Miles »

Before I open for business, I intend to go to ask salvage yards if they will allow me to bring my mobile setup onto their yard so I can practice headlights. It seems like a good deal for the salvage yard since they get worthless lights converted to new looking lights for free. Has anyone tried this? Ayn difficulty getting access?
HW Miles

Post by HW Miles »

Here is a quote from an article I ran across today on car design. It seems like a powerful argument to make to a used car dealer that doesn't restore his headlights.

“We’ve done studies that specifically look at how people are anthropomorphically connected to car designs,” Sam Livingstone, automotive design strategist for U.K.-based Car Design Research Ltd., told International Business Times. “Consumers are reading to some extent the face of the car as the face of a person and therefore will infer from it an attitude, be it aggressive, benign or friendly. We’ve done a lot of work with face design because we think it’s a massively important thing. Even if people don’t consciously read the face of a car, they certainly do it subconsciously.”

And what do people infer from the face of a car with faded cloudy headlights? It has dead eyes. worn, tired, ill. People won't say that of course, but it leaves that impression. The article is from International Business Times.
http://www.ibtimes.com/does-your-car-lo ... rs-1491974
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Two tins of beans side by side one dented and one not, which one are you going to buy, and they are only 30cents.
Rev

Post by Rev »

HW Miles wrote:Hello, this is my first post. I am researching the market in anticipation of entering this business full time. I would like this business to work, but I am beginning to have some doubts. Once I have decided to proceed, I will commit 100% to building a business, so I first need to be sure the market is viable. There is clearly a need, but it appears the demand for the service is weak especially retail. Most of the sales/marketing discussion on this board is focused on dealers and fleets. However, I expect I would need to gain some experience in retail before successfully selling to fleet accounts since the dealer/fleet customer would only deal with an established business. Therefore, the retail market would seem to be very important in the startup phase and It appears that there are few retail customers to be found. What are your thoughts?
HW thanks for your post. When I was first starting, I spent the first several months learning how to restore headlights on a lot ran by a local charity. I did 15 cars that help them resale them quicker and for a higher price, they were so grateful they hired me full time restore all their cars and the new ones that came in. The best thing about doing this way was that I was able to deduct the full retail price from my taxes, which fully paid for my kit and my time.
Let There Be Light :roll: