Business gifts /Are you a giver?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Frank EU
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Business gifts /Are you a giver?

Post by Frank EU »

Is there anybody planning to give their (fleet) customers a ‘seasonal’ business gift? Over here in Europe that is a common thing to do. I know (because I spent a lot of time in the USA) that there are some very nice packages available in the USA, prices may even go beyond $140 per hamper. Now, indeed that is a lot of money, in fact it is over the top. Regardless the annual profit we’ve realized and regardless the economy being high or low, we distribute a lot of gifts and that is always appreciated by the fleet-customers (we mainly work for fleets). We avoid gifts that are too personal, or just suitable for only one individual. After all; our customers’ company is made up of many individuals and we like them all to be pleased –not just our contact person. Instead we give something that can be enjoyed by most, if not all, people in that company or organization; something like fruit baskets, sweets, donuts, cakes or chocolat. We never give ‘’nicotine’’ or ‘’alcohol’’.

Just a Christmas Card and/or Best Wishes are fine, but we like to go the extra mile. In fact, we invest a lot of time and energy in it. However; not all customers may be willing to accept a gift, regardless the product, size or cost price, examples of those are insurance brokers, some large fleet accounts and your contact person at your local county. Don’t worry, it is their policy –and we do not want any conflict of interest issues.

During the year, we also like to give gifts like rulers, coffee mugs, pens, watches, wall clocks, stickers, ice srapers, key-rings, calenders, cigarette lighters etc. ie; we are pushing our business name in the strongest manner possible.

Not only we like to take all the jobs possible all year round,after all we need to make money and pay our bills, but during the year, at both random and fixed times, we like to give gifts. Just to express how much we do appreciate the business we get. Giving something small can make a difference.....it does not have to be very expensive or impresive. Remember that it is NOT the cost price that matters most, it is the intention and attitude. The customer realizes that your time, energy, and fuel costs (just to name a few expenses) outnumber the cost for your gift. If you want to stand out, and get the extra attention, you could give your gift at an a-typical (unexpected) time, for example; the first summer-day.

At the end of December we typically experience that we have ordered too much food-stuff, not a big deal. It goes to local charity and/or institutions –they are always short of funds and therefore pleased to get the stuff for free –BTW; we do not want to be named being the ‘’sponsor’’.

What do you do....?
ChipStop

Re: Business gifts /Are you a giver?

Post by ChipStop »

Frank, what a great post and point! I agree with you whole heartedly! What we do for the office staff is we send a bouquet to the offices once a quarter, and then at the holiday times, we send food items. Our limit is $50 per office. This year we also gave away hunting knives with our logo engraved on them, to the quick-lube and car-wash employees in businesses we serve. They went over great! the knives cost us $1.00 each and the engraving another 2.00 ea for our bulk order. In our culture, a good hunting knife is a great gift.

Good topic!

Mark Howie
ChipStop, Inc.
screenman

Post by screenman »

In our culture a knife is an offensive weapon and could end you up in prison, I have never given out gifts but I do give out fantastic and memorable service to all my customers.
Crack_King

Post by Crack_King »

what culture is that screenman ?
Look at life through the windshield, not the rear-view mirror
Frank EU

Post by Frank EU »

screenman wrote:In our culture a knife is an offensive weapon and could end you up in prison, I have never given out gifts but I do give out fantastic and memorable service to all my customers.
Yep, Screenman has certainly a good point here. We would also never give a knife. Brrr, just think about it what idiots can do with a knife that has your name on it. It defenately doesnt match with our corporate governance and the identity we've been building for many years. I am glad that we have strickt laws when it comes to weapons (it doesn't stop the real idiots though, to do whatever they like with any weapon).

Chip Stop, Screenman is in the UK and we are in The Netherlands -Amsterdam. As you probably know, the Europeans (in general) have a whole different attitude when it comes to carrying weapons, in fact most dislike it (including me). I realize that this is all very different in your wonderfull nation -and that is just fine.
Therefore it is absolutely okay for you doing the things that work for you in your area.