DOOR TO DOOR COLD CALL SELLING

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: DOOR TO DOOR COLD CALL SELLING

Post by Coitster »

My favorite way to sell WSR. :)
Coitster
Crack_King

Post by Crack_King »

what if you have only apartment buildings in your area should we try ad marketing/flyers ?
Look at life through the windshield, not the rear-view mirror
GLASSTIME

Post by GLASSTIME »

Blind Squirrel,

This list of insurance companies you have, is this something you have generated through time.
Or is this something others can find floating in internet space?

If we can't find it on the tube, can you send a list via PM.

I like your approach with this. Although true residential door to door knocking can be quite interesting and yet scary for a lot of people.
I once sent out a group to do this for my company and 3 out of 5 of us wound up in the back of police cars for soliciting.

Anyone doing this defianetly should check out local laws. Just to be safe.
But it is a very inexpensive way to market.
Chad E. Clewis
President
GLASSTIME Windshield Repair & Headlight Restoration

"Its What You Put Into It That Counts"
ContactPoint

Post by ContactPoint »

Here is are a few excerpt from our Outbound "Cold Calling" Training Program that may help you in your Cold Calling, whether it is door to door or on the phone.

Goals for Mastering the Foundation of a Cold Call:
1. Learn to properly prepare for a call
2. Know how to create a compelling opening statement
3. Create rapport by asking questions about the customer
4. Master the balancing act between what they want and what you need
5. Learn to reflect a positive attitude; it is the mindset of a “closer”
6. Make a smile come through the phone
7. Ask yourself, “Would you do business with this Rep?”
8. Maintain good flow, organization and control
9. Develop a relationship that allows you to ask for the business and for referrals

When you focus on the needs of the customer rather than focusing on what you want, you get a lot further. It all begins with establishing rapport.

Definition of Rapport:
A sense of connection or friendship or harmony with another person; having something in common; or a mutual understanding; a comfortable relationship of trust.

Remember:
One of the primary goals of your call and your Opening Statement is to generate rapport. Rapport is one of the most important characteristics of unconscious human interaction. It demonstrates a commonality of perspective, being in "sync", and being on the same "wavelength" as the person with whom you are talking.

There are a number of techniques that are beneficial in building rapport such as: matching your body language (i.e. posture, gesture, and so forth); maintaining eye contact; and matching breathing rhythm and voice tone timbre and pitch.
ContactPoint

Post by ContactPoint »

Always remember to ask for referrals. There is a high probability that they will not have a cracked windshield, but an equally high probability that they will know somenone that needs a windshield repair.
bramblehill

Post by bramblehill »

Time2Shine wrote:Blind Squirrel,

This list of insurance companies you have, is this something you have generated through time.
Or is this something others can find floating in internet space?

If we can't find it on the tube, can you send a list via PM.

I like your approach with this. Although true residential door to door knocking can be quite interesting and yet scary for a lot of people.
I once sent out a group to do this for my company and 3 out of 5 of us wound up in the back of police cars for soliciting.

Anyone doing this defianetly should check out local laws. Just to be safe.
But it is a very inexpensive way to market.
Are there a lot of bore cops in Gaston, North Carolina?
FrogKnowledge

Post by FrogKnowledge »

The sales pitch:

Hi my name is Jason am with *** Glass Co. We are the guys that offer the on site free rock chip and crack repair for you car windshields.

You: I am in your area today offering complementary inspections on your windshield do you just have these 2 vehicles here?
(never talk about their rock chip at the door always look at the car)
Policy Owner: Uh yea just those 2
(As you walk over to the car)
You: Great, so how about this weather?
Policy Owner: Yea cold lately, You poor guys have to work in this every day
You: Yes but I love what I do, Sir did you notice this impact point here?
Policy Owner: NO or Yes
You: This is what we call a Star Break see how it has 4 little legs growing off of it, this one is getting ready to crack have you ever had a windshield repair before
Policy Owner: (Option 1) Yes I have
You: Then you know how important it is to get this repaired today
Policy Owner: (Option 2) No I have not had a chip before
You: WOW you have been one of the lucky one huh, Who do you carry for your insurance policy
Policy Owner: DUHduh Company
You: That's great you know they are one of the best insurance providers, they will actually pay for this repair 100%, since it is such a safety issue.

Do you have your insurance card I need to call them and let them know who I am and register my shop with them then they are going to ask you a few question like when did it happen and how. It should only take a few minutes.

This is just the basics but you CAN NOT talk to them about the rock chip or crack at the door step their is no since of safety or urgency at the door their thinking about what ever you just interrupted them from.

Also by offering the complementary inspection 1 in 3 of my repair did not even know they had a chip so NEVER ask do you have a rock chip assume they do and look at the window.
D2D

Post by D2D »

FrogKnowledge, I've been reading this forum for a long time but yours is the first post that I'm moved to respond to. What you describe, and Contact Point mentioned this as well, is a process or system for creating rapport with a potential customer. This facet of direct sales cannot be understated for without it few, if any sales are ever made. How you carry yourself, your demeanor, and what you say to people are extremely important because on a subtle, subconscious level, the sale is made before you ever get around to explaining the details.
Psychologically rapport happens in the subconscious and when your prospects subconscious mind has accepted you, it is almost impossible for them to say no or reject you, as long as you maintain rapport. That is, the offering makes sense and they can rationalize the reasons for moving forward.
Since the summer of '08 and the onset of the current recession, I've experienced a downturn in cold calling contact to sale ratio. This may be attributed to several things, the economy in general or that people are just worn out from being hit up at every turn for something they feel they can't afford, at least not right now.
In downtimes when the dollar is tight, preventive maintenance is naturally more important than ever. So, most folks should be, unless they are really broke, glad to have a service that will save them money in the long run as well as protect the investment in their automobile.
Earlier this year I joined the BBB which gives me the right to use their logo and website hyperlinks. What this does is help remove some of the resistance as far as people thinking oh no another jerk trying to sell me something I don't want or can't afford. This upfront identification as an established locally owned and operated business gets me the 30 seconds I need to gain rapport and tell them about windshield repair.
rsbaum

Post by rsbaum »

I have years of D2D experience selling everything from mag and newspaper subscriptions to Directv and cable. I thought using post it notes and sticking them on windshields near chips with a number for them to call. I'd probably only put them on obvious chips. I thought about doing this D2D and at store parking lots.
D2D

Post by D2D »

As an addition to the valuable info from ContactPoint and FrogKnowledge, I'm posting, with permission from Brent, this URL I came across when researching "door to door" selling:

http://67.15.172.7/~easypeez/doortodoor/index.html

You will find the key points that ContactPoint mentioned in his post.

What I found most useful is how to track residential areas to insure that you knock on all the doors.

I also found that by using Google maps to zoom in on a neighborhood, you can print out a map that shows the houses and you can track your results.

Hint: set your printing to "black ink only" so you don't use the expensive color ink.