Am I being taken advantage of?

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
R&RWsRepair
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Am I being taken advantage of?

Post by R&RWsRepair »

I would like to start out by saying thank you to Delta Kits as well as the Administration of this site for creating and upkeeping something as amazing as this site is. I'm going to be as short and to the point as possible but this may be a little long so I apologize ahead of time.

My name is michael, I am 24 years old, have been a mobile windshield repair technician for 1 year, I primarily manage 20 high end car lot accounts and bring in anywhere from $14,000 to $17,000 in profits every month by myself. I have a background in operations management and also have worked minimum wage jobs that dealt with the public relations aspect of things since I was 16. I served 5 years in the army reserves and am 100% driven towards bettering myself and take my future families well being very seriously. I don't waste time and instead of watching tv or partying, I sit in my office in my house and research/read/learn business/psychology/self development. I started a small window washing company and a guy that I had met was impressed with me and gave me an offer towards working for him. He's been in the windshield repair business for 38 years and has worked alone the entire time. His offer was to teach me his trade, us go into a verbal agreed upon partnership and as more responsibility was given he would up my salary, cash jobs would be sent my way to make up for the 5$ I get per repair Out of the $50 we charge (he makes $45 every repair that I do while I make $5)and within 10 years give me the company. At first I was treated like a son and in public I was even called his son. Things we're great, we worked side by side for 5 months and from day one I went to every break thinking I knew nothing so I could learn more each repair. I even take notes on my mistakes for the week and at the end of the week answer how I could improve to not make that mistake. He runs a cattle farm and after 5 months the day came to where he needed the day off and I was told I could go by myself. Of course I was excited. The next week came and it happened again. Then the next week it was two days and then it gradually became me going by myself every single day and me managing his entire business besides buying work related supplies other than I pay for my own gas. I get 10% of what I bring in every month. So far I've brought in over $75,000 in these 5 months and I've seen $7,500. I am thankful for the opportunity and thankful for the amazing job I have because it has brought a happiness that I never knew existed but that is what he uses to excuse my pay compared to his. That I should be thankful and that I should be appreciative. I don't want to quit because I absolutely love my job field and I don't want to be disloyal but I'm tired of struggling financially while he has 4 brand new vehicles, a half a million dollar house and spends money like it's his job instead of helping me work or helping me grow the company. I've had idea after idea and have acted on them all the way up until the point of funding being needed and then i get an excuse of why he doesn't have it. I'm going insane and I'm tired of feeling like I'm getting screwed when I stop and think about my situation. Can someone please offer some type of advice or some type of wisdom from previous instances that you may have encountered or went through ?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Am I being taken advantage of?

Post by screenman »

I would be very interested in how you earn your boss 4x more from repair a month than I do for myself. Now is he shortchanging you, to be honest I have no idea, what are his business costs?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Am I being taken advantage of?

Post by screenman »

Am I being taken advantage of by even answering what was a certain troll post.