Can insurances pay for cracks longer than 6 inches?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
kmx321
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Can insurances pay for cracks longer than 6 inches?

Post by kmx321 »

Hey guys, I'm trying to find the answer to a question that Safelite nor the insurance companies seem to be able to answer me.

For the most part, a crack that is longer than 6in. is usually opted for a replacement instead of a repair. I've noticed customers who have longer cracks prefer to get it repaired instead of replaced because they have high deductibles.

Ive gotten a lot of customers who ask if their insurance can pay the first 6in. and they'll pay the remaining inches out of his own pocket.

Is this possible?
RebelTitan74

Re: Can insurances pay for cracks longer than 6 inches?

Post by RebelTitan74 »

Hi kmx321, don't have an answer for your question, just wanted to ask a question. Have you repaired 6in cracks or bigger? If so do you charge more for the bigger cracks? I have only done up to 2in cracks.
kmx321

Post by kmx321 »

I can comfortably repair cracks that are 24in. I once did a crack that was 4 feet long, but I let the customer know that I couldn't guarantee exceptional results. I charge depending on the size of the crack; the longer it is the more I charge because it will require more of my time and more supplies. I usually get customers with cracks ranging from 12in-32in. Never had a problem with the cracks opening up again.
RebelTitan74

Post by RebelTitan74 »

Thanks for getting back to me kmx321. I have a few more questions. So you charge you base rate for the first 6in and so how do you charge for rest? Is it a rate for every 6in after that. Do you use crack expanders? Do you have a different technique or do you use the method that I've seen on Delta website.
kmx321

Post by kmx321 »

1) I don't charge a base rate for every 6in.
2) I charge anywhere from $40-$80 depending on the size of the crack.
3) I do use crack expanders
4) I drill at the end of the crack and make a bullseye with a slide hammer. I then go through the vacuum & pressure cycle. Then I follow the crack with my resin bottle and start to fill it in (in sections) while layering tape on top of it.
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I was told by a long time crack repair guy out of Colorado that there is a way to get them to pay the chip price and the customer out of pocket the additional. Cracks take me too long now but I charge 75 at 6 inches 2.50 each inch after the first 6 inches. I recently had a customer with a 6.5 inch crack we called Safelite they said no at first then after speaking with the customer approved the crack. I just did it for her for the price they gave me pretty sure it was only 65 she was very happy with the repair and said she could not even see where it was. I am not as confident as of yet with advertising long crack repair but will do them when the customer begs me too, I also only give a 2 year money back guarantee on cracks over 6 inches until I get some more confidence. Hoping to gain knowledge here on any tips or tricks for longer crack repairs feed back from anyone would be appreciated.
Windshield911

Post by Windshield911 »

Insurance companies are gonna pay chip repair rate. When I do a long crack I have a set price depending on length, under 12" is one price and over 12" up to 24" is another price. I tell customer in advance if they want to use insurance they will pay the remainder. So if I charge say $80 and insurance pays a chip repair rate of $60, then the customer pays me $20 plus sales tax. I make sure they understand that in advance. For a chip repair if customer uses insurance then of course they aren't out anything.