Star leg not filled

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
HoustonGuy
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Star leg not filled

Post by HoustonGuy »

:cry: I was working on a star with 7 legs that were about 1.5 each in length. It was in HOUSTON 95 degrees outside with no rain and done at 4 pm.
Cleaned out pit with tool.
Did not drill.
Used b150 delta bridge.
3 pressure vacuum cycles.
I covered the repair with foil and a towel so sunlight would not get to it.
All filled but one leg on the bottom and it only filled about a quarter of an inch, so about and inch was left infilled.
I applied pressure from inside the windshield to the crack. I used my lighter, but not really familiar with if this works or not.
I know I applied too much pressure as resin leaked out when I applied pressure, and after the repair was done, I noticed that I got some flowering on 2 of the fixed legs.
The pit dried cloudy after applying pit resin scrapping with new blade and polishing. I don’t think I noticed that the polish even made a difference. Any ideas?
Attachments
B4017C8A-BDE1-4DC4-ACE9-A260EF31B984.jpeg
B4017C8A-BDE1-4DC4-ACE9-A260EF31B984.jpeg (144.29 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Star leg not filled

Post by screenman »

That needed flexing from outside, not inside, heat is an enemy as it causes the glass to expand making to leg close up and not allowing resin to flow. Did you polish until the polish had dried as this is when the shine appears.

Never cure until the repair is full is something I teach over here.
HoustonGuy

Post by HoustonGuy »

Thanks screenman. When you say polish until it shines does that mean it will be clear or just not dull? So flexing from the outside is the way to open the leg? Also, when doing repairs outside and covering the repair process with a towel how much danger is there that the sun will cure the repair with slight exposure when lifting the towel to do the pressure vacuum cycles?
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

I had one of those breaks this week end, the owner had it covered with a patch to keep it clean. It took a little extra time keep pressure and vacuum cycle, then put out side pressure on the legs to let the resin flow. give it more time and then tried heat with a lighter. repeat this process again and finally filled and wow she was very happy. :D
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Houstonguy,
I 'll have to be the bad guy here! Did you get some training before starting in this business? Aluminum foil to cover the bridge and pressure on the inside of the windshield?! And yes, there is a very good chance that curing will take place when you lift the towel off the bridge. You said it was 95 degrees, do you think the break will cool off when you cover it with foil? That's what I do when I want to keep my baked casserole warm after taking it out of the oven!
RCRNR

Post by RCRNR »

I pressure outside of glass right by the injector sometime on pressure as well as vacuum cycles. When you pressure there it will open up the leg watch it fill to 4/5th of the way release pressure it will over fill then and wow gone. Hopefully you are using Delta Resin.