Phoenix/East Valley

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Wsudrick
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Phoenix/East Valley

Post by Wsudrick »

Hi everyone!
I’m thinking about starting mobile windshield/headlight repair initially part time. Here are my questions:

For those in the area, how do you deal with the heat in this area? I understand the temps are high 80’s and 90’s most of the time but when the ambient temps are low 100’s does that effect the quality/longevity of the repair?

With this being a state that requires insurance to pay for replacement, how has that impacted this business?

Is a pop-up (car wash/gas station/mall) a viable option in this market?

Here’s a little background, I’m in my 60’s looking to supplement my income. If I can grow this to the point it’s full time maybe an employee or two great, but not a goal at this point.

If there is anyone in this area willing to meet and talk message me! I’ll buy the coffee.

Wayne
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Phoenix/East Valley

Post by Brent Deines »

Hopefully someone from your area will chime in soon but I'll give you a little feedback.

Some of our busiest customers are in your area, because of the weather. Most of us wish heat was the biggest problem we had to deal with! As long as you have a way to shade the glass you won't have any problems working in 100 degree weather, and as a general rule you will find that it is much easier to make a high quality repair in hot weather than it is in cold or rainy weather. The main complaint we hear from technicians in the Phoenix area is that when it gets really hot they don't want to be outside working, not that they have any trouble with their repairs.

As for longevity, you will find that if a car is left in the hot sun day after day the pit filler will degrade faster than it would in a cooler, cloudier climate. The combination of UV and heat does a number on the surface of all acrylics, including windshield repair resin and headlight restoration coatings. What this means for your windshield repairs is that from time to time a customer will come back after a year or two to have you resurface the repair, which takes less than 5 minutes and just a drop or two of resin. I don't see this as a problem, but an opportunity, as I always tell my customers that if at any point they start seeing the surface of a repair start to deteriorate they should bring it back to me immediately for a free resurfacing. They love that kind of service and if they do bring a car in to have a pit resurfaced, which frankly rarely happens, it gives me the opportunity to inspect the glass for additional damage.

What it means for your headlight restoration is that customers who leave their cars outside day and night all year long may need to have their headlights touched up once every eighteen to twenty four months, rather than once every twenty four to forty eight months like you might have to do in a cooler climate if you leave your car outside all year long. If you see a car once a year you won't need to do a full restoration each time, but you may need to run over the headlight with a 1500 grit sanding disk, followed by a 3000 grit polishing disk, polish if desired, and then a fresh application of headlight coating. With prep and cleanup this is still a 30 minute process so you will want to adjust your warranty and prices accordingly. Once very good way of being prepared for this is to offer a one year warranty with a two, three, or four year extended warranty option for an additional cost.

With regard to the impact on repairs due to insurance companies being required to pay for replacements, I don't have any solid facts to provide you, however I can tell you Arizona continues to be one of the best markets for windshield repair.

I think a pop-up tent is an extremely viable option in your market.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Wsudrick
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Re: Phoenix/East Valley

Post by Wsudrick »

Thank you Brent, that is very good Information. I haven’t seen many pop-ups pin my travels so I was a little concerned, however that could mean several things not the least of which is I wasn’t looking until the last month or two.

W