Death From Windshield Repair???

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ARG

Vehicle Lettering

Post by ARG »

I believe this article may be about windshield replacement, however the article states "Windshield Repair Company Named In Wrongful Death Suit".

Anyone heard anything more?

http://glassbytes.com/newsdeath070604.htm

ARG
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Death From Windshield Repair???

Post by Delta Kits »

Sounds like they're naming pretty much anyone who ever touched the car in the lawsuit...
Delta Kits, Inc.
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

Have seen several of these suits over the years. Normally, everyone including the glass co., insurance co., adhesive mfg., are involved. Usually comes to the deepest pockets.

The FMVSS 216 relates to the structural safety of the windshield replacement and its ability to stabilize the roof in the event of a roll over accident. This is probably the basis for the lawsuit.

I did want to mention that this is the exact reason all of you professionals, (repair or replace) should always discourage anyone to "try" and replace a windshield on their own without proper tools, primers, adhesives and the experience to know how to use them. As this proves, it can be a life or death situation if not installed properly and if the safe drive away times are not followed.
Coitster

Post by Coitster »

This artical I am sure is about a replacement company. I can't tell you how many times when I had a full service glass company that people refered to my replacement jobs as repair jobs. We in the business use a different termanology however in the court system they call replacement companies repair companies.
David
Coitster
Glass
ARG

Post by ARG »

I talked to Peg at the NWRA today. She said this is from a chip repair. Basically I see this as money driven.

ARG
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

In California they sue the entire chain of people who touched the car
I worked as a saleman in San Diego in 1985 I sold a woman a new dodge daytona in 1987 her 16 yr old son took it into a corner marked at 15mph at over 60mph kid in the back seat crippled from the waist down only lap belts back then.
I was called in the dealers office in 1988 to be told that they were sueing for 20 mil myself the sales manager the general manager the dealership and Chrysler were being sued with the claim that we never discolsed that a model was available that had rear shoulder harnes seat belts that year. (Special edition Shelby for twice as much $) Chrysler settled out of court for 2 mil even though they hadnt really done anything wrong.
Mikedoby

How to identify stress cracks

Post by Mikedoby »

It is a proven and historic fact that people will sue for anything that they think might get them an easy buck. It is unfortunate that we live in a world like this, but we do. This is one of several reasons why I do not expand my business to include "replacement" of windshield. I believe it would be hard to prove that a simple chip repair contributed to a roof colasping during a roll over accident. :?:
glass_meister

Post by glass_meister »

I just saw this story today. I was shocked that Glassbytes did not put a clarifier on this story (Repair...Replacment?). I am sure that this story will receive a lot of replies on the following magazine edition.

My concern here is that the NWRA or others have not voiced an opinion on this situation. If indeed this was a repair company..., it needs to be stressed that repair work does not effect the structural integrity of the cabin in a rollover situation. It is the strength of the urethane bond between glass and metal that is the deciding factor in a pop out of a windshield during rollover (and subsequent crushing of roof).

What everyone here should be concerned about is the negative publicity that repair could receive if this goes to court. Once the egg has been thrown, a mess will ensue. Time to nip this in the bud quickly.

NWRA are you listening?
It is simple.....grow or die.