Newbie looking for advice

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
angelo503

Other businesses

Post by angelo503 »

After reading the postings here, I have had quite a few of my questions answered already. I'm not too concerned with learning to make repairs or anything like that. My main concern is marketing. I know there are many many ways to get the word out, but I would like some advice on what has worked for you personally. Also, are the insurance companies referring business to you? If so, how to you get on their "List" of qualified repair techs? Thanks for the help.
paintlessplus

nwra / nga repair tech cert. questions

Post by paintlessplus »

Welcome angelo- The marketing ideas have just about been covered in past posts and there are many ways to promote this business. I have personally found that the average customer is about as likely to take time out to call and schedule to have a chip fixed, as he would be to call and schedule a tire rotation. Therefore there are alot of chips out there. You have got to establish a presence in your area. In my opinion vehicle signage is a must. Beware of costly advertising- if you advertise start small and track the results. I ask every customer how they learned about my business. As far as getting on an insurance companies "list " of repairers, Most companies work with a glass network. You'll need to get on with that network. Networks give out referrals when a customer calls - they usually supply the customer with 3 shop names and let the customer choose. The networks regularly call to update their files to make sure you answer your phone and are still in business. The secret to working with the insurance companies is building a good reputation for quality repairs and customer service. Some companies will survey the customer after you complete a repair. Local adjusters and agents can not legally refer anyone to your shop- thats called steering. Some of the members on this forum have built a good reputation with local ins. agents who may "mention" the name of a few shops if a customer doesn't know who to call. I am personally trying to build my business towards catering to insurance work. I expect to spend quite a few years building my reputation and trust. Don't expect to be swamped with business over night. The nice thing about this business is that you can always go out cold calling and find work. Also cash jobs are fantastic and profit margin unbelievable. :D Good Luck , Bob
Mikedoby
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Drill Speed

Post by Mikedoby »

Angelo welcome to the forum and to WSR. I honestly believe that the most important marketing tool that I have is my magnetic signs on each side and the tailgate of my truck. This has drawn attention that actually paid for all three signs within the first two weeks. I use business cards, hand out flyers, and have my company name in the yellow pages of our local phone directory. None of these have been as effective as the magnetic signs. One piece of advice. Do not make your signs "too busy". If your business name indicated the type of business you do, just use the name and phone number. For example: the name of my business is" Precision Windshield & Glass Repair". That along with my phone number is all that I needed to attract attention. You do not want to put too much info on the signs that an individual will have to read when they only need to know what you do and how to contact you to get it done.
:lol: Some of the guys use decal but I personally prefer magnetic signs. The are easier to move from one vehicle to another with no additional cost. Good luck with your new business.
V-Glass

Post by V-Glass »

Ditto on costly advertising - be careful! I wouldn't recommend direct mailers either (I used Val-pak and I don't think it will ever pay for itself) The Yellow Pages is your best choice; make sure you're in the phonebook, even if it's just a line entry.