Assembling my own kit

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

JiveTalker, you can cut corners in a number of areas, and you can learn to do good repairs with inferior systems, but I would encourage you to start with the best system you can afford. There is nothing more discouraging than trying to work with equipment that does not function well. Go on line and get in touch with all the windshield repair supply companies. Request every free thing they will send you. Many will send videos of how their equipment works. These can be valuable supplements to your training. Watch them and emulate what you see on the screen. Most of them are generous with their resin samples, too. Use them for practice repairs. With a budget of only $400, you need to make every dollar count. CPR's approach is a very wise, conservative one. Keep your day job and work on wsr evenings and weekends, turning your earnings back into the business until you have it built up enough to make the switch to full time wsr.
JiveTalkinSmitch
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by JiveTalkinSmitch »

Thank you for the advice. I have a local wsr tech who has been doing Windshield Repair for 13 years who will teach me and am pretty set on the Windshield Doctor bridge since I have read a lot of good feedback on their equipment on different forums (and it's not too expensive either). Assuming I enjoy the work and develop the aptitude for quality repairs I'll then ease my way into a bigger investment. I appreciate everybody's willingness to spend time and help out others.
StarQuest

Thank you

Post by StarQuest »

Just wanted to say good luck buddy. :wink:

I don't really agree with everybody's post on this subject. Yes, you can start out on a shoe string budget.......but why bother. If you have one person in your area with better skillls and equiipment you'll get slamed! :shock:

Just my personal opinion :roll:
JiveTalkinSmitch

StarQuest wrote:Just wanted to say good luck buddy. :wink:

I don't really agree with everybody's post on this subject. Yes, you can start out on a shoe string budget.......but why bother. If you have one person in your area with better skillls and equiipment you'll get slamed! :shock:

Just my personal opinion :roll:
I guess I'll have to start out somewhere. Everyone starts out not being the best on the block and most probably have "inferior" equipment (to start with), but with persistence and thick skin I'm sure I'll do fine. If I was afraid of not having the best skills around I'd never get started. Like I've said I'm not under the delusion that I can start a vibrant and prosperous full time business on $400 alone, but I sure can perfect my skills and earn some cash and see if it is a good fit for me without being out of pocket $1000. Other than that, I thank you for your input.
screenman

Post by screenman »

As a stock broker I am sure you have heard the term speculate to accumulate get the best you can.
The reputation you start with is quite often the one that stays with you forever.
This business is full of part timers and undersellers that have started badly and stayed there. This has kept the price of repair as low as it is I think I am right in saying that over there the price is the same or less than is was when I started in 1988 (Novus was charging $45.00 per repair then) The best time to get it right is first time. Take out a loan commit yourself properly and proffesionaly to a great business.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
JiveTalkinSmitch

Ethics???

Screenman,

You have great advice and insight. I am wanting to see if I like doing the work first without committing a whole lot of capital. IF it's a good fit I won't need to get any loans since I have many sources for capital, just not a whole lot of liquid $$$ if you know what I mean. I have no illusions about starting a thriving business (w/ insurance, business cards, uniforms, fax machines among other critical equipment) for $400. It would be a complete waste of my $$$ to go out and spend $1000 just to find out that I don't enjoy the work and then turn around and sell the kit on ebay for $500. I don't have that kind of cash to throw away. If it's a good fit I'll find the resources and go whole hog. :D

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.
JiveTalkinSmitch

I guess I should make it clear that I don't intend on working on any windshields until I develop a reasonable level of proficiency. I certainly don't want to be a "hack" and have too much respect for all of you out there to be a thorn to the business. I should also mention that I'll be getting trained by someone who's been in the business for 14 years.