Assembling my own kit

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
JiveTalkinSmitch
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by JiveTalkinSmitch »

I must say that I am grateful this resource exists. Being broke, with about $400 to throw at this endeavor, I am interested in assembling some of the components in a kit on my own (with the obvious exception of the bridge and injector assembly etc...). That being said; would it be more affordable and worthwhile to assemble the remaining implements on my own? I am interested in buying a top quality bridge and injector but not in paying a premium for misc. tools, so someone can throw it all in a tackle box for me. I would like to start off with at least 2 bridge assemblies and would like to know what else I would need to make a complete repair system. This forum is huge and I really wouldn't know where to begin looking if this info already exsists. Thank you in advance for your generosity.
StarQuest

Assembling my own kit

Post by StarQuest »

Sorry to say this but $400 isn't going to cut it for all the equipment your looking for. If your really serious about getting into repair as a profession you'll have to fork out a littlle more cash than that! I suggest working some other type jobs until you've saved up about $3000. That's even a low figure on the cost involved with good repair equipment, supplies and materials but a more realistic one to get you started.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Check out Delta Kits catalog for starting kit pricing. If your trying to save some money you might also try E-bay. Sometimes you run into some great deals on used equipment.

Good Luck!
CPR

Post by CPR »

If I had to start all over again and had a 400$ budget it would go like this:

1: Delta B 300, comes with a training video and enough resin to get you past the practice stage and then make some money.

2: Delta 12V curing lamp

3: Repair mirror

4: Curing tape

5: Cordless dremel drill

Now you are really broke, get a practice windshield and start perfecting your new business. Do us all a favor and dont work on customers glass until you can do quality work, we dont need anymore hacks out there.

Factory training is highly recomended but it looks like you will have to learn on your own. Maybe you can find a tek near you for a mentor. Anyway welcome to the club, and read this forum until your eyes bleed.
JiveTalkinSmitch

StarQuest,

$3,000? Besides a good kit what else do I need that would be so expensive? My understanding is that a top quality kit shouldn't run me more than $1,000. I need to start small because my current job just cover's my families bills and I want to earn additional income to improve my situation, of course once I start making some$$$ I'll go Champagne all the way but now I'll just have to settle for beer on my budget.

CPR,

Sincere thanks for you input.

Doesn't it seem like the B300 is a little high end on a $400 budget? I was considering the windshield doctor bridge (or maybe glass technology), which is half the price and then upgrading as the cash flow increases. Do you believe it is that important to start off with top of the line?
CPR

Newbie going to Delta training!!! yea, i'm so excited.

Post by CPR »

Actually I started out with the GT kit myself and it will be enough to get you going. I traded up to the Delta injector and have been very happy with it.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

1 injector $135
1 uv light $35 (of course if your only working outside you can get away without one)
1 1/2 oz bottle of resin $25
1 pit resin $25
1 pack cure tabs $5
1 dremil drill $25
1 pack of drill bits $15
1 small toolbox $15
1 goofy little step stool from wallyworld $15
1 can glass cleaner $4
1 roll papertowels$1

sounds like a basic kit fot under $400 to me

pretty much what I worked with the first 6 months
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

JiveTalkinSmitch,

I'm not trying to talk you away from getting into W/R with only a $400 budget to work with but you did state that your interest getting into repair was to make some extra money. Which is cool! How much extra money are you looking to make per week off a $400 investment....$50? $100? $200? or possibly more? And how soon are you expecting to make those profits? 1 week?, 1 month? 3 months, 6 months? These are all questions you should be asking yourself using some type of business plan. $400 will get you something to start practicing with and help you get your feet wet in repair....... but truthfully that's about it! Might take you 2 months just to get your initial investment back. If your really serious about making money in this field, then you'll need to spend a little more money and more importantly, the extra time working out a good business plan. Doesn't really matter what new business your getting into but in order to succeed you first need to understand what real starting cost are!!

Not sure why some on this forum think you can start out with $400 and become successful. Aside from the initial expense of equipment and resins, you'll also require some marketing materials, business cards, invoices, general liablity insurance, business registration fees, signage, work wear ect.... Those new business neccesities alone will eat up over $4 bills. I know you already read a post where someone started out with $400. Quite honestly, my first kit only costed $325. Maybe that worked fine for me and that person in the past but I don't foresee it happening with todays windshield repair standards or requirements. Read some of these newbies post over the last six months and just P.M or email them as to how much they've spent trying to break into this biz. I'll bet you find the ones that are making money spent $3000 or more.
CPR

Post by CPR »

I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here but you can get started on a shoestring. I started wsr about a year ago and invested 315.00 on a kit, had a full time job and a desire to do this. Started learnig, started making some money. Then used that cash to buy the other things needed, signs, licences, invoices, attire, insurance, equipment upgrades ect.

Next phase, go out and secure some dealer and fleet accounts, pickup some retail business, get the name around, make some business relationships, get a feel being out on my own and doing good repairs.

Last week I got laid off from my full time job and am surviving on wsr to get by. If the groundwork had not been done I would be up the creek right now. There is something for me to fall back on that I'm familliar with.
JiveTalkinSmitch

I understand it's going to take alot more than $400 to really get a business going. My background is as a Stock Broker and I have a realistic grasp on what is necessary to get a business up and running since most of my clients are business owners and I've assisted them with their business and financial planning. I'm just getting tired of the regulatory BS, volatile income and 70 hour work weeks among many other issues. I mainly looking to ease into the business and determine whether or not it's going to be a good fit for my family and me without too big of an investment. I am already in the process of designing a business plan which will involve door to door and cold calling (which is how I do business currently), but I gotta get good at the repairs first and see if I enjoy the work, then I'll assemble the capital to really hit it hard. You all are very helpful and I look forward to your input. Thank you.