Replacing a Repairable WS?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Replacing a Repairable WS?

Post by Bois »

I approached a potential customer today who had 4 bullseyes on his PU WS. He said that he had $50 deductable and that he would rather replace his WS because the replacement person would waive the deductable. My question to you replacement folks out there is "Will insurance companies allow a replacement claim if the WS is repairable?" :eusa_naug What's your experience?

Dale...
gold star wsr

Re: Replacing a Repairable WS?

Post by gold star wsr »

I dont do replacement, but I can speak from what clients have said... people such as you describe wait until the ws has cracked out, then since its a poor candidate for repair, they get it replaced. However, the insurance companies look askance at replacement claims when they come too close together, and may arbitrarily raise the deductible. This has happened to several people I know. They used to say they didnt want to bother with repair... but suddenly, instead of $50 deductible... they now have $200 deductible (in one case, even higher)...so free repair now looks pretty good to them.
Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair

Post by Chips_Away_Windshield_Repair »

Good question..I don't have the answer, but another closely related the more expierenced members may pass on the similar answer or answers.

Just a while ago, I started working on a Freightliner w/s. The guy has one big ol' chip repaired but still has evidence of mositure in it, seven (7) other bullseyes and what I call bat-wings, generally small.

With that many chips properly repaired and the other worked on to improve the structural integrity, should he really consider replacement? Keep in mind this is a large w/s, and I don't know if truck w/s's are stronger than auto w/s's or not. Also, I'm charging $50.00 + $10.00 for each of the additional ones. Is this what you would do?

I did two bullseyes, the remaining five in the morning.
Chips Away's 40' Monaco Exec. ,'05 Honda CR-V,
Channel 13 Graybeard
ARG

Post by ARG »

Bois,

Yes, at this time a shop can waive the deductible for the replacement, however with the NAGS Re-Balance, I believe the days of this are numbered. The insurance companies don't like this and this is a good reason for the re-balance. Many in the replacement field are upset about the lower amounts soon to be paid by the insurance companies, however they have no one to blame but themselves. I find it hard to believe a replacement shop is giving the insurance company the best price, then claiming they still don't make enough, at the same time waiving deductibles up to $250.

The way I have found to combat this is first explain to the customer that windshield repair does not disturb the factory seal. Because of this they will not have a leak which by itself can be a pain, but can damage headliners, seats, carpet, not to mention modern electronics. Second and more important explain that windshield repair is far more "SAFER Than Replacement". I've seen shops doing this and as a general rule they use cheap glass, cheap adhesives and take every short cut available. A Badly installed windshield will kill you in an accident. ABC's 20/20 has said this, Fox Under Cover has said this, among others. If you go to my website and click on the windshield safety page you will find links which will support this: http://www.glassaidokc.com .

Finally I make it a point to explain to each customer I service that windshield repair is safer and eliminates the risk of leaks, besides saving them money.

I hope this helps,

ARG
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

If the customer feels they would rather replace its certainly thier choice to make they have no obligation to repair. That said the reason most insurance companys dont consider a repair to be a claim is the reward for being considerate to them. a couple claims and your rate goes up so was the replacement free?
Dave M

Post by Dave M »

Bois,

I would have to answer yes. Chances are pretty good that this claim would be handled by a CSR from one of the networks. From my experience with these CSR's they only go by what the customer has told them. Who determines what is repairable, the CSR, the customer or you? We want the answer to be us but that does not always hold true.
I don't believe the insurance companies can tell an insured that the w/s has to be repaired or has to be replaced, BUT from what the insured tells the CSR can determine which route will be suggested.
Recieved a call from LYNX yesterday. Customer told her he had a 3 inch crack in his w/s. I asked the CSR where the crack was located, was there only one 3" crack or were there multiple cracks originating from the same impact point? She replied "I'm not sure". I asked to speak to the customer to pre-determine what the brake looked like. It was on the driver side 6-8 inches down from the top with ten 3-4 inch cracks surrounding the impact point. I suggested a replacement. I don't replace, repair only and LYNX knows this...right!
All we can do is sell our service the best that we can. If the customer with four bulls-eyes feels that repairs (even at no cost to him) would not be as good as a new windshield, the insurance company will cover the replacement.
DragonFly

Post by DragonFly »

hello everybody, i'm a newbie here. I've been lurking for a very, very, very long time. I"ve been doing repairs since 93', lots of good info here even used some of it over times, thxs! :D

just my two cents, i own a repair/replace shop. most all my repairs are walk ins everyday. If someone came in and 4 chips on there windshield(like they have) i would feel them out. To see what they would prefer. Most insurance companies only pay up to 3 repairs, execpt AAA, they pay 4. I dont push it one way or the other, but if they have a $50 ded. i would let them the decied what they want, i'll bill for the 3 chips and do the 4th for free or waive there deductable and have a new windshield for free. 9 out 10 time they will take the new windshield.

So i guess the answer is yes, the insurance company will pay for a new windshield even if its just one chip on the shield. Its all what the customer wants. If the customer tells the insurance company that he wants a new windshield even if its just one chip on the passager side, the network or insurance company will not tell them that he/she has to fix the chip. They will do what the customer wants. If they want a new shield then there just responable for there deductable.

Doing a chip repair claim is no different then a windshield replacement claim!! They both are comp. claims, ones no different then the other, just the price. And most insurance companys look at it this way. Both are still put on the insured record. If your not sure just ask your agent.

Yes NAGs is redoing the pricing for auto glass, but were still going to be able wavie deductables to a point. I don't waive $250(never have) or anything, but it will depend on the customer insurance company and car and what there deductable is to how much we can do. For me in Michigan i'm finding it won't affect me in a big way, not to say that i'm pleased with the new NAGS.

Reading this you may say that i'm pro windshield replacement, i'm not. I much rather do 6 to 10 walk ins a day then do some of these windshields, i'll make more! Just like today, a lady called me about a quarter to 5(i close at 5pm), she says they got a chip and what time do i close, i told her. She wants to get it fixed today, but she needs to stop at the bank and then she'll be right here. So i decied to wait for her, and by the time she came and when i was able to lock up it was a quarter to 6. I wasen't happy to stay late but were knowed for our repairs.

this is just my 2cents, please don't flame me, i'm a new guy here. :eusa_droo you guys have a lot of good info, and i still like learning something new..
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

You are correct about both being comp claims, but if you ask anyone at an insurance company they would rather pay for 5 repairs than 5 replacements. It's all about the dollars to them.
a1repair

Post by a1repair »

"Will insurance companies allow a replacement claim if the WS is repairable?" What's your experience
If the insured is willing to pay his comprehensive deductible, then the insurance co. is obliged to pay the rest of the replacement claim. That has been our experience in Vermont.
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Insured customer always has the right to choose, not the insurance company! Whether it's the shop they prefer to use or having their shield repaired or replaced. In this particular situation with 4 bullseyes and a $50 deductible... my choice would have also been replacement over repair even if I had to pay.

Bois, be glad you didn't repair this one because there would have been a high probability with this insured calling insurance company back saying he wasn't happy, resulting in a charge back to you! Nothing worse than filling 4 repairs only to find out later you made $0;)