5 Min Repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
maxryde
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

5 Min Repair?

Post by maxryde »

So I'm out working today when this lady tells me she would like me to repair a couple of chips in her shield. I inquired if she was familiar with WSR? She says yes she had a couple of repairs done 4 or 5 mos ago. So I proceed with the work and in conversing with this lady I find out a little more. The shield I'm working on is the one she had repaired. I saw the invoice and she described the "work" the tech did, there was no chip in her shield only surface pits. This guy billed out two chips on a perfectly good shield!!! (Ins) I searched the shield out thoroughly. Just pit filler nothing else. Now I know a good repair and even the best leave some sign of repair, there was nothing. I found out this guy is setting a tent location in my backyard. I was Pi--ed. Any thoughts?
Scott
My best mentor one said " be fair with your priceing but never too low, be honest with your customer/competition, when the day is done be sure you have done "good works", and always leave something of value on the barganing table!!

While my friend and trainer/ mentor Ray has moved on, his words live.
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Re: 5 Min Repair?

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

[font=Comic Sans MS]5 Minute Rock Chip repair is a franchised WSR system based out of Washington state. They sell a VERY undervalued system (under valued meaning what the purchaser gets is way less than what is paid for) where they take a substantial amount of each repair done as their franchise fee and they never teach the franchise owners how to proccess their own insurance deals. They do this, of course, to keep their owners dependent on them. I have known more than one person who has been involved with them and they make it very difficult to make a living so some unscrupulous owners will do things like fixing pits and billing for them just to make a living. There is a VERY good guy in Vancouver who used to be with 5 minute and he got out due to the afforementioned issues. I am certainly not disparaging the competition because I see them as no competition at all. Once a quality WSR tech, like my frined out of Vancouver, sees how malicious their franchising system is they leave quickly. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Franchising can have a place in our business if done with integrity and with a win/win proposition for both parties. Some people just don't seem to understand that if you help enough other people get what they need or want you will always have what you need and want.I don't believe specifically in Karma ... but people who rip off insurance companies by doing pits and calling them chips will get theirs in the end, but all we can be concerned with is what we ourselves do because that is the only thing we can change.[/font]
a1repair

Post by a1repair »

Greetings maxryde,

"5 Minute Windshield Repair"? That is, to say the least, amazing..... Your anger,dissapointment, resentment in the actions of those who operate that kind of what we (as professional WSR Techs) should, consider "shenanigans",
in my opinion is well founded. As Brian from Jerimiahwindshieldrepair said, in short, is unfortunately, there's little or nothing we can do about it.

Having myself been doing windshield repair since the early 1980's here in Vermont, I too, have seen many, to quote Brian J. & Jeff H., "unscrupulous" individuals come around over the years, and disrupt what I consider(ed) "a well oil machine". Most, thankfully, have gone the way of the buffalo out here. a.k.a. Outta business.

As Brian mentioned all we can do is our best, and I'd like to add, stay passionate about the service we provide. And continue to do our best in advancing true professional WSR.

My .02 cents
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Brian

Yes there are very unscupulous franchisors out there. As you may have noticed in my past posts, I am a franchisor, and my fanchisees are very happy. The way I work is first they get 10 days training(2 in house, and 8 in there territory, building there client base with them, and continuing the technical training). They get a well defined territory with the asurance that no-one in there territory will have the same tools and resins(I an the canadian distributor of the system we use, so i can control the distribution of same), the territories ar generaly atleast 200000 in population. They recieve there business cards, invoices, uniforms, marketing materials(flyers, sample adds, ect..)and just about everythind else they need other than a car and a cell phone. Our name is well known in the province, so they have a leg up when they start. The most important thing that they reciece is a strong contract, the contract is there to protect 3 parties, first the franchisee, second the franchisor, third the other franchisee's. I will not sign a contract without them reviewing it with a lawyer first, to amke sure they fully comprehend it(my contract is about the same as one you would get when purchacing a millon dollar franchise). The contract(as all franchise agreements should) spells ou tin detail what they can, and can not do, the boundries of the territory, and most improtantly the sanctions should the contract not be respected(by them, other franchisee's or myself) I charge $9800 canadian for the franchise, all inclusive, afterwards it is there company, there invoicing and there profit, I am there as a saftey net, motivator, tech assistance, mentor, and R&D dept for mew services and products(like my new scratch removal system, ect...). For the first 6 months they have no franchise fees(royalties) afterwards it's $200 per month, this is to cover my time spent with them(about a day a month) and province wide advertising. Having a flat fee for the above excludes me from having to go over there books to see if they are giving me the right percentage of there profits(there books are there's I have no busness in them), all that is important to me is that they make a good and fun living, have satisfied customers, and continue to grow there business, so that one day they can sell a successful company and retire early. To me the role of a franchisor is that of a facilitator, that is to say a person that is there to help, guide, motivate, innovate, trouble-shoot, and support. Unfortunatly a lot of franchisors think that there role is to gouge, profit, and abuse, but as was said before they quickly go the way of the dinosor, unfortunatly they hurt real people on the way with there carelessness. Another good franchise operation that does well in our business is in england http://www.optic-kleer.co.uk/app/content_home.

Merci

Yvan
magicogar

Post by magicogar »

I hate to say this but I've done a repair on my windshield and til today, I can only see the pit filler. Unfortunately, the pit filler didn't hold too well and left a little pit in the area and looks like a surface chip. I've checked inside and out and could not see any signs of my repair. I don't mean to showoff in any way but that's how good my repairs are. ;) ...Besides the pit filler flaking off, which is not my fault...really.....I've used the top quality pit fill.....seriously!! :)
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

Yvan,

I have to commend you on a job well done! You have put together a good system for a fair price and it is a win/win for both parties involved. With that kind of attitude you will continue to prosper in ANY business.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I have had people ask me how long the repair will take, and I tell them "on average, about 20 minutes, from start to finish" . Occasionally, one will remark "Why does it take so long? They guy at the carwash advertises 5-minute repairs. " I tell them "Well, you can have fast, or you can have good, but its rare to find both good and fast. I guarrantee my work, so when I undertake a repair, I dont leave it until I am satisfied that its done correctly." Then the client usually tells me to take as long as I need.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Brian

Thanks for the kind words, I have alway's prospered(and worked hard at it)in the past and I don't intend to change. Before being a WSR tech I had my own garage with a select clientelle(Volvo's only) and at the same time a cabinet making company(I have a rich educational backgroung in all that is hand"s on). Due to long hours and hard work I managed to screw up my back(2 discs), which led to an opperation. The doc told me to change jobs, my reaction was one of denial, and I can still do it I will just take it easy. So 6 months later when he re-opperated(this time 3 discs), I believed his warning that the third opperation would mean a wheel chair. So while recoperating I had the time to surf the web, one of my searches landed me on windshield repair sites(I was looking if something better existed than what was here, I have a 73 Volvo(surprised?)that I had had a chip repaired a few years back , and I was never satisfied with the result). As you know all of these sites claim financhal freedom, and that they provide the best equipment and resins, I was intreeged, and the wheels were put in motion. When I returned form my training session I was pupmed(as every-one is I hope) and in the first week I had covered the cost of my kit and training. I observed a need and sought the best way to fill it, I started with empoyee's, but had the same problem as I had alway's had with employee's(I can't tolerate incompetance, ask me a question once and I will be glad to answer, ask me a second time and I get hot under the collar, ask a third time and you will be looking for a new job), they rarely meet my(overly elevated) expectations, and the one's that do I alway's push away for there own good(I teach them how to run a business then push them to take the leap of faith, they all have thanked me for my efforts by being successful) . I then investigated franchising and found if done right it would provide the best answer. A person alway's works different(better) for themselves than for someone else. I am not into franchising to make money(it's not a get rich quick scheme), but more for the challenge of seeing others succeed with something that I have elaborated. If anyone would like to pick my brain, and start there own little franchise system, give me a call. Knoledge is of no use if you can't share it.

Merci
cure4glass

Post by cure4glass »

Goldstar,
That's why I like doing mobile service to their convenient location,especially their home.I alway tell them around twenty minutes to complete but feel assured that if it takes an hour,I'll take an hour to get the best repair possible.I tell them that my first lesson in wsr was not to be in a rush.
Clarity Glass

Post by Clarity Glass »

Maxryde, it is definitely frustrating to see this happening in our industry. I now use it as a tool to keep/gain the customer that is in front of me for future repairs. The first thing I do is educate my customers what to look for to better determine what really needs repaired and thus billed to insurance. Second, this is the perfect opportunity to hand them your business card. I personally work out of a tent, so I tell people next time you drive by and I'm not super busy feel free to stop by and I'll fill a couple pits for you at no charge. I also tell them I love my business and love to take care of my customers. Most people will shake your hand or give you a pleasant smile, say "thank you, I'll spread the word." When they have a chip that has potential to spread, guess who they're going to call?