Resin storage and heat...

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
ACT 1

Resin storage and heat...

Post by ACT 1 »

My wsr service vehicle is a VW Beetle. It is common for my repair tool box, step stool, fender cover, windshield spray etc. to sit in the back for hours during the day while I am working at my full time job. I often have repair appointments during my lunch hours and after work. I have a tent set up on weekends at a local Street Fair. The business is growing rapidly and I hope to be full time next month. Now to my question.....I have noticed that the resin bottle is quite warm when I take it out of my tool kit and the pit resin as well. Is heat a problem for resin. My repairs seem to be unaffected by the "warm/hot" resin but the pit resin seems to be a little thicker than usual but again has not had a negative effect on the repair. I store the pit resin upside down in the kit and when I take off the cap there is an excess of "gooey" resin around the cap threads. In time I expect to be buying my resin in volume so shelf life, heat etc. is of concern. I live in a desert community in Southern California where the summer temperatures will average around 110 degrees or so for several summer months. Right now we are enjoying temps around 70 - 75 degrees. I have not worked wsr in the summer heat as yet.................any experiences with resin and hot temps would be appreciated...................................Regards... Tom
gold star wsr

Re: Resin storage and heat...

Post by gold star wsr »

You might consider placing your resin in an insulated cooler, possible even putting an ice pack in with it, in the coolest part of your vehicle. I hear conflicting reports regarding whether heat/cold affect resin, and you dont say what brand resin you use ... but in my opinion, you cant be too careful with how you store your resin.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

oh... by the way.... I am also in a hot dry climate ... New Mexico, high desert... summer temps (beginning in May) range in high 80's-90's and even above 100 sometimes ... I try to be very careful with my resins... and protect them from temperature extremes as much as possible.
ACT 1

Post by ACT 1 »

gold star.........thanks for your reply. I think the idea of a cooler makes sense. I would wrap the resin bottles in a micro fiber towel to keep the resin from getting too cold so there is no adverse affect. By the way I use Delta resins and actually I use Delta all the way! .... Regards...........Tom
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

I keep a mini cooler/heater in my truck that I got at WallyWorld for 35 bucks.

here's a link...
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ll=3353216
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

Wouldn't cold resin flow slow because it thickens up a bit when cold, and likewise wouldn't warm resin flow faster because it thins out with heat?

In the winter time, when my vehicle is cold, and I am on my way to a customers location, I put my resin bottle on the defroster vent which heats it up quite nicely. And when I am actually doing the repair, I put the resin bottle in my pants pocket to keep the bottle warm incase I need to use another injection of resin.

In the summertime, I just keep it out of the sun to keep it from getting too hot.

Sneck
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Sneck

Yes the cold can slow resin movement, but accidentaly I left my resins in the car overnight when it was about -35 degrees celcius, and they were thick but not frozen(glass mechanix resins). As for the summer, like you I keep them out of the sun, as long as they don't reach the boiling point they will be fine, just a little thinner than - 35 :wink:, but if you find they are to thin GM sells a thick resin for warmer climes, I use it in the summer for bull's eyes when the temps are over 90, as for the star resin and crack resins I use them as is, and have not had a problem. The real concern in the heat is the Ws cracking out if it is too hot, make sure to cool the glass before starting the repair, it happened to me once and I hope it will never happen again(On realy hot days on a black car, without ac to cool the glass, I use a wet towel to act as a heat sink, it works well). If you can't keep your hand flat on the glass for 30 sec,s than it's too hot.

Merci
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Jeff is the Resin Wizzard lets here his advice myself i dont get warm enough here to notice a difference