One of my Competitors

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
paintlessplus

One of my Competitors

Post by paintlessplus »

This is how my Saturday went.... I get a call from an elderly lady that has a rock chip in her 95 lumina.
After getting some more info she asks me how much I charge. (cash price no insurance) The standard competitive price for my area is $39.95 and since she was close I told her $39.95.

"That sounds great your'e cheaper than the last guy we used".......OUCH (no I didn't ask what he charged)

I get over there and start the repair on a real ugly star and it comes out beautiful. I let her watch and had the inspection mirror and my magnifiying glass out and she was truely impressed.

While my curing light was on, I proceeded to clean all of the glass inside and out ( my standard procedure) She was further impressed..."The other guy never did that."

O.K. Now as I'm removing my light she hands me a check and asks " Do you guarantee that square piece of plastic to stay stuck on my windshield ?? " I asked her what she was talking about, and she said that when the other guy did her husbands pickup the "protective coating" came off a week later in a car wash.

I was dumbfounded. I removed the resin tab, scraped the excess and polished the pit, while explaining the process to her. About that time her husband pulls into the driveway and I look at his windshield.

He had superglued around the edges of the "protective coating" aka resin tab. What a mess. I cleaned in up, applied some pit resin to a low area and got them squared away... before I left they asked me for a few business cards.

Total profit = 1 repair.....$39.95
1 cleanup and re-touch.......no charge
1 happy educated customer.......priceless

Although $39.95 is a little less than I normally like to get....This one was well worth the price of admission. Bob
enkogneto

Re: One of my Competitors

Post by enkogneto »

Thats a good story Bob. I guess the "other guy" (lol) was in a rush huh?
dgarza
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by dgarza »

LOL superglue! thats classic.
a1repair

Post by a1repair »

Way to go Bob!
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

I made a sales call to a car lot once were all the repairs had "protective coatings" on them. I tried twice to sale them by pointing-out the "protective coating" to 2 different managers, both told me they were happy with "their guy" I left in disgust and never went back
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

You mean your not supposed to leave the cure tab on the glass? LOL
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

I never thought of using super glue, I use masking tape instead, it sticks long enough for my 30/30 warrenty(30 feet or 30 seconds which ever comes first). But Seriosly I have had customers ask me if there windshield will come back down after the repair(I use one of those plastic bubbles for a UV shield). I have also had customers tell me that the other guys use a lighter to "melt" the glass back into a whole(and yes they meant a BIC lighter, not the mini torches that we use)

Unfortunatly it seams that for every good WSR tech there are 2 bad ones, WE NEED A CERTIFICATION OR LICENCING PROGRAM FOR WSR TECHS.

Merci
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I got a call last week to repair two 6" cracks on a semi windshield. When I got there, he had put clear tape on the INSIDE of the glass... LOL.

Yesterday I stopped at a favorite gas station and the husband of the clerk asked me about a star on his windshield ... well, he said it was his car, but his wife said it was hers ... (I didnt get in the middle of that) ... anyway, she said " I dont need no repair, I'll just put some nail polish on it " ... I told her to be sure to use bright red, because that is the only color that will work. Her husband walked outside with me and I looked at the star. I told him I could do it right then, but he had someplace to go. He said he'd call me. We'll see.
a1repair

Post by a1repair »

Greetings fellow WSR Tech,

I'm with Yvan 100% on Certification/Licensing. Standards need to be established.

Also to add to the mayhem. I've had people etch a small scratch on the inside of windshield just above the end of their running crack, thinking it would stop it from going further. :eusa_wall
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Certification, licensing, and standards will not stop unscrupulous people from doing unscrupulous things. Education of the consumer is the first step in the process. The problem is (as seen in every example of this thread) that the consumer doesn't know what they are supposed to be getting. In a free market society an informed consumer will weed out the bad guys. People know what to look for in a used car, they know what to look for when buying produce. Try to sell them junk cars or overripe produce and your business will suffer. If they know what an inferior wsr is and you try to sell them one your business will suffer. The problem lies in the fact that they don't know what inferior wsr is.

Caveat Emptor