Ladys

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
dingmedic

Ladys

Post by dingmedic »

I have come across a problem with men not taking me serious, even on the phone. They always want to speak with my husband. Darn it, I can fill that shield like a man every time!!! Sorry not venting just needing advise. Any verbal skills? Dawn
paintlessplus

Re: Ladys

Post by paintlessplus »

Hi Dawn, I've been meaning to call your husband and visit with him on PDR... lol. Didn't realize you were heading up the WSR biz. Tell him I said he's a lucky man. I'm actually going to push my WSR business later next year to get my now 14 year old daughter in the biz. I personally think that women are a natural for this type of work. I mentioned in another post, achickandawindshield.com check it out if you haven't yet.

I think my biggest initial stumbling block was just having the fluency in talking to people while trying to conduct business. As strange as it sounds, I had to sit down and write out a script for every possible situation that I would encounter.

I had one script for answering my phone(getting info and setting up appts.), another for contacting networks, another for explaining the need for repair vs. replacement,another for pre-repair customer contact.

I just tryed to think of any possible scenario and come up with a response.

I spent quite alot of time talking to myself rehearsing my scripts. I had to because otherwise I would get nervous and repeat myself and ramble on and on......

I don't know if the resistance that you are encountering is coming from being a female, but I can assure you that as you mature into a "windshield geek" like many members on this site, it will get easier. Good Luck- Bob
dingmedic

Post by dingmedic »

Bob, thanks so much, I am going to start a script as soon as I post this.My big problem is that after Rick talks to our potential clients they call and want to set up with him and only him!!! Just this morning a client refused to speak with me! Im hoping there are other ladys that have come across this. Dawn
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

I have a couple of lady friends who I taught WR they work in Quebec selling almost exclusivly to Truckers they do well and dont get alot of off the wall BS I think its all presentation. We all know truckers can be rough around the edges sometimes and often wont take a woman seriosly I think persistance and attitude are the key
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

Occasionally I get someone (not always a man, either) who makes the erroneous assumption that my hubby is the one who should do the repair. I let them know that because of his full-time job (until recently when he retired), he has only about 10% of the experience I possess, but I would be happy to let him practice on their windshield. LOL.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

As far as truckers go, I have never had any problem with them taking my work seriously. They are happy to have the repairs done. I have a number of accounts with trucking companies, and when the drivers know I am going to be there, they line up their private vehicles for me too. I have a small radio with earphones, so if the language gets strong, I tune it out. But that also doesnt happen too much.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

I agree, its mostly attitude, go in with your head up high, and don' tlet them look down on you(keep eye contact please, I don,t stare at you crotch when I talk to you, so don't stare at my chest please, is what my wife told one of her now good customers(translated from french). My wife is a full time WSR tech as well, and does very well. When a person asks to speek to the boss she sais how can she help you. 90% of customers will not have a problem with a chromozonal difference, and the 10% that do should benefit from a good swift kick in the jewel case, Sylvie doesn't hesitate in putting "macho's" in there place, and is well respected for it. Go in humming a good Aretha Franklin toon( R.E.S.P.E.C.T.) and come out with a cheque in hand.

Merci
enkogneto

Post by enkogneto »

Yeah, I think alot of it is a confidence factor. If you know you can do just as good as a man (or better) then people will feed off that. I've heard that some of the best welders in the world are women because they can keep more of a steady hand than men. I'm sure WSR is very similar.