A few tips

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
Bois
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: A few tips

Post by Bois »

Boy! These tips sound familiar.

Lost 1/3 bottle of resin because I didn't put cap back on immediately after filling injector. I got into the car to check break and tipped the bottle. Now I recap immediately and put bottle in my pocket (don't place on hood).

Also, I always get the license number of a car when going to do a repair in an office park, etc.

Dale...
cwrepair

Post by cwrepair »

OK, heres a funny one. Well it didn't seem funny at the time. I went to do a repair at a school that was in another town about 40 miles away and did a perfect repair for the teacher that was still in class. After finishing the repair and her insurance information I had to quicky leave due to school was fixing to let out and the buses where trying to line up and I was in the way. So I leave and get all the way back home and my cell phone rings and its the teacher asking me if I had her keys? whoops! there they where right in my pocket and I was back off on a return road trip to take her keys back. I thought she would be really mad when I got there but she was understanding about it. She was real cute though, so I would have taken a paddling from her If she thought I deserved it. Chris CWREPAIR
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

You've been naughty .... you deserve a spanking!
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

Tip for the day.

Look both ways when you cross the road.

Keep your tools looking clean and tidy it helps build customers confidence in you.

Keep smiling it makes everyone feel better and they look foreward to seeing happy people, nobody wants to see a sad old git every week trying to scrounge a few bucks for sticking glue in glass.
33,000 + screen repairs over 18 years and still learning.
Over
magicogar

Post by magicogar »

Just wanted to bring this tip thread back.

After using different pit polish with ok results. I went to my closet and got out this 3M rubbing compound and started testing it. The results came out great. This product is used to rub away 1500 grit and fine scratches. If you want even better results, use 3M Finish Restorer afterwards which removes the finer scratches if you're nit picky. :)
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I had scheduled an appointment today for 10am. Calling what I thought was her number this morning to confirm, I aske for "Mrs. so&so" .. the man who answered said she had gone skiing and wouldnt be back til this pm. Feeling rather relieved that i didnt have to brave the cold wind, I poured another cup of coffee and relaxed. At 10:30 a call came from the owner of the store where this meeting was to have occured saying a lady was there for windshield repair. Now I am baffled ... she couldnt possibly have returned from skiing since the time I spoke to her husband ... its over 40 miles to the ski area!!! Fortunately she was a good sport about the mixup and we are rescheduled for another day. But from now on I guess I will have to dispense with the formalities and simply ask for 'Debi or Alex .. or whoever' .
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Magicogar

What is the part number of the polish you use? If you don't have more info on the product then there tech people it is next to impossible to find something from 3M.

Thanks
magicogar

Post by magicogar »

Sorry but I can't seem to locate it on the bottle. It's an 8 oz. bottle with the name "Body Repair Rubbing Compound" made by 3M found at Walmart, Pepboys, AutoZone, etc.... But I think you can use any fine rubbing compound used to remove light scratches.
CPR

Post by CPR »

3M part # 06011
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

Here's one...

Always Always Always explain to the customer that some of the break may still be visible after the repair. I always do explain this to the customer, but in this one case I did not. I just jumped right to work and repaired the star break he had.

My customer called me on the phone the following day and told me that I fixed the wrong chip on his windshield. I asked him where the chip was located that I was suppose to fix in relation to the one that I did fix. His reply was... "That is impossible to tell, because the chip you fixed is now invisible!"

In my mind I knew he was looking at my repaired star break. I told him that I will be right over to check it out and see what needs to be done. As I had expected, he was talking about the star break that I repaired. I put him at ease by explaining that even though there is resin in the break and it looks much better, you will always still be able to see a "skeleton" of the break, and the damage has been stopped - and won't spread. He was happy with that explanation, and I continued to explain and educate him more about windshield repair.

He thanked me for coming out again, and said he will refer his friends and family to me when they have a need for windshield repair.

The moral of the story is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS EDUCATE, EDUCATE, EDUCATE the customer BEFORE repairing the chip.

Sneck