VIN Etching

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
sydfloyd44

Re: VIN Etching

Post by sydfloyd44 »

From my experience, it sounds almost exactly the same as StarQuest. We never even got thru the intial supplies when we purchased the systems before it all ended up on the shelf and eventually in the trash.

I might add that I do not find StarQuest being negative at all!!! You are simply telling your experience as you know it. It is ironic we had the same experience. This is the objective of the string. To share these experiences. Every city and town is different. What doesn't sell here might sell in another area.
If you can make a buck at it and make it worth your time, DO IT! Just don't get yourself wrapped up in large sums of $$ getting it started just in case. Don't be afraid to just ask your dealers and make a sales pitch. "Ask and ye shall receive".
If I were you glassfixerCO, I would do exactly that! Use it as a freebie. It came with the system and you really don't have anything to lose. It doesn't take long to do and your customer will REALLY feel like they got their $$$ worth. It will give them more reason to tell a friend about you!
I have also seen VIN etching with an phone # listed below the VIN. Not sure if it is for who did the etching or what, but might be an idea there?
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

With 20+ yrs in auto sales I can tell you the vin etching realy is of no value to the customer, dealers shy away from cars with etching at auctions in a big way and cars traded in have a significant lower trade value. I have seen cars go through auctions with lower miles and better condition but etched for thousands less. There are many things we can sell that are legit without pushing something that isnt.Whats the benifit to the customer? Unless you etch every part in the car it doesnt slow theft and makes the glass usless to being reused when the car is old and ends up at the wrecking yard. myself I dont see the need for add on stuff but for people in other markets more $$ is never a bad thing. But there are a bunch of better items to offer
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I would like to know how having the VIN etched on all the glass would negatively affect the re-sale of the vehicle? It seems to me that the opposite would be the case, since the car is already verified as a low theft risk.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Goldstar,

I may be wrong in saying this but for the chop shop......glass is not one of their concerns! It's not easy to cut out and save glass for resale. Engine components, electronics, transmission, body panels, fendors, doors and others parts our though. Think about it!
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Vin etching really has little to no effect with chop shops. The glass on the car prodvides nothing in the area of profit to them!
GlassStarz
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by GlassStarz »

Most people dont want thier glass all marked up i have seen 2 otherwise alike cars sit on the lot the one with the etch will always be there longer and sell for less. Have seen it time and time again. It has no value at all for the customer its a add on scam just a way to skin you for some more money. Alot like that protection package they sell for hundreds they spray 2 bucks worth of scotch guard on the seats and wax the car with a teflon based wax(the same stuff they were going to prep it with anyway and proven to wash off with about 8 carwashes also available at PeP boys for 8bucks)
I worked at many dealerships that sold the stuff and always refused to sell it (Actually was fired from a chevy lot in san diego for that very reason apropriatly name Quality
Again there are many real products we can sell without passing on a scam.
Almost-New WSR

Post by Almost-New WSR »

GlassSatarz and StarQuest,

Thank you both for your detailed advice! I really appreciate your honesty and forthcoming about your experiences with this. Truth is: I don't know if it will work here any better than detroit--motor city!! I see your points on the non-effect on chop shops and with the majority of thefts around here being for joy-rides...probably doesn't help with that either. Who cares if it's etched if it's some young gang-bangers out for some fun!

Again, Thank you for your input and time spent doing so.

Dave
mr. P's Mobile Detail

Post by mr. P's Mobile Detail »

Almost New---- I just the other day read an artical by an insurance agent who recomonds that people cover the vin number so thief's can't copy it and then go the dealer and get keys made. He goes on to say that it is also a way to identty thieft.
Just another thought.
Good Luck in your new adventure!
Almost-New WSR

Post by Almost-New WSR »

They can copy it from your regular vin plate on the dashboard already, no? If they want to, they can get your vin from several different places on the car right now. Also, most of the parts people at dealership have a little bit of security about just giving out keys (esp. these days with the prices on "chip-keys"!). The question is: can they be sold?! I always say that if the crooks in this world would put in HALF as much effort into an HONEST day's work...they'd be sittin pretty good.

We are pretty much not going to continue to look at this as an add-on anyway (based on this thread and other feedback).

At first, researching, this sounded like a no-brainer for a little extra cash time and expense wise, but now seems a bit inflated and we'll stick with our core offerings!

Again, Thanks for your input, everyone.

Dave
reggie

Post by reggie »

Toyota etches the vin # on their vehicles at the factory apparently they think its a good idea