Ugly Half Moon

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
montana

Ugly Half Moon

Post by montana »

I had a half moon the other day that has me baffled. It was like a smiley face.
The point of impact was about a half inch above the half moon. The impact was just a small pit fill. But, the half moon was really pale and white. So I drilled one end and tried fill.I ran pressure and vacuum and pressure and
vacuum. That still didn't clear it up or fill. So I drilled the other end and
filled until resin came out the other end. After curing and pit filling my drill
holes. It still looked the same. I had to give that up for free. But she liked my
effort and let me do two other cars that ended up with three more chips
that looked fantastic. Thanks to DELTA KITS. So in a nut shell can anyone
tell me what to do in this case? There was no way that dirt or anything could have got in there. It was sealed until I drilled.
magicogar

Re: Ugly Half Moon

Post by magicogar »

Some half moons I've done are very stubbon. When I thought it filled completely, it appeared again after curing. These are very strange little creatures. I think someone here drilled it and tap a bullseye to help open it but I'd never done this though.
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

On some of those that don't have an impact point you need to drill to the laminate to make sure you have gone deep enough to hit the broken cavity area. Perhaps you just didn't go deep enough with the drill??
Repair1

Post by Repair1 »

Jeremiahswindshieldrepair wrote:On some of those that don't have an impact point you need to drill to the laminate.
Drill to the laminate? Drilling into the laminate is the worst thing you can do when repairing a windshield.

I have found on these types of breaks drill and pop seems to work the best, and injector pressure on the glass is key. very little pressure on the on the glass I will unscrew it until it starts to leak and then a slight twist to seal.

Happy Repairing

Brian
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I don't want to argue about drilling to the laminate ... but I will say that very few times do you need to drill to the laminate .. but there are some times when I have found it neccesary. It really isn't all that bad if you do drill to the laminate except it puts an ugly spot at the end of your drill point ... but if you HAVE to drill to the laminate alot of times the chip is so bad a little spin mark on the bottom of your drill hole makes no difference. There is no structural consequences for drilling to the laminate .. it does not make it anymore likely to delam or any other adverse affect. Drilling and popping is one way to do it also.
CPR

Post by CPR »

I drill just enough to clean out the impact point and pop a mini bullseye, I see alot of these breaks around here and they turn out great.
Almost-New WSR

Post by Almost-New WSR »

A couple weeks ago I had a half moon like you say with an opposing half moon. I could just barely make out an impact point near the center (kind-of) and just picked at it with the probe a bit and then set up. It was slow, but i could see it track in and fill to a point. It seemed like it was stuck or stalled, so I put a bit of heat behind it and it filled quicker than I had ever seen one fill before. Maybe it was just the break, but it never turned black again.

I only drill if necessary and that is less 1% of my repairs by best guess.

Hey, at least she let you do two more! That was a great sale!

Best of luck.

Dave
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

I would not drill to the laminate. I would drill about half-way and then pop a mini bulls eye.
Nomad
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Nomad »

Sometimes if you drill and pop about halfway between the impact point and the edge it works better. These are kind of a judgement call thing in any case
a1repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by a1repair »

Greetings WSR Techs,

"Ugly Halfmoon"(s) can be incredibly difficult to repair. We have found that @ times, there are instances, where, a stone chip needs to be "roughed up"/"made worse" to acquire the ability to be able to repair it. "Ugly halfmoons" are a prime example.

Snapping a mini-bullseye is one way of solving the situation. Or, heating the 1/2moon with a torch, then probing the pit can help, as it may become a complete 1/2 bullseye. More often the not though, drilling almost to the laminate (as Brian mentioned) will solve the problem, providing you drill deep enough.

My .02 cents
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984