Inside crack

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
glass tek

Inside crack

Post by glass tek »

Did a repair today on a combo break. It had two cracks coming out from the break running side by side about 6". Repaired one break and it looked fine. I could hardly see it. I drilled the second crack at the end and popped a mini, but the crack extended beyond it. It actually looked deep, beneath it. I then discovered it was a inside crack. First time I've seen this. Is this type break safe to repair? Any suggestions on how to repair it? I done the best I could but was not satisfied with the cosmetic appearance.
sydfloyd44

Re: Inside crack

Post by sydfloyd44 »

NWRA Recommended practice says NO to repair on the inside.

Prior to being certified, I did do a chip on the inside caused by a crystal ball hanging from the rear view mirror. Came out OK. Not something I will ever do again.
StarQuest

Post by StarQuest »

Glass tek,

Inside layer crack='s a replacement and repair should should never be attempted on these. There are no methods or WSR equipment on the market today that I know off that can repair this condition. Best advice.......steer clear!
Dave M
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Dave M »

I remember Repair-brise posting that he could do inside repairs with his equipment. I know mine will not, therefore I would never attempt an inside repair. Maybe this is why the NWRA recommends not repairing an inside break? Too few manufactures have the equipment to perform this type of repair.
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

I also have equipment that "could" be used to do an inside repair, but I would never do it because it is not covered in any training anywhere that I have ever encountered. But I did read on another post that a customer had a laminated glass counter in a store with a crack on the inside glass, and that was repaired successfully. That kind of repair would be fine, but not in an auotmotive/windshield application.

I agree with Glass Tek, STEER CLEAR!!!!!!

Sneck
Richard

Post by Richard »

The only suscessful way to repair an inside crack is to remove the windshield!!!!, I never repair an inside crack.
glass tek

Post by glass tek »

Thanks for the info! The only reason I attempted the repair is it was my Dad's truck. I first told him it needed to be replaced but he asked me to try. I'll never try that again!
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

As mentioned above I have repaired cracks on the interior of vehicules(upper part of WS where dash is not in the way) if they were not caused by stress in the frame(ie:they were caused by something inside the car hitting the WS). I can't see that a properly repaired crack on the inside is any less safe than a crack repaired on the outside. I have also once repaired a crack on the lower portion of a WS, but the dealer removed the glass so that I could repair it(it was an older Ferrari and the glass was back-ordered for a long time). Before they removed the glass I popped a mini bulls eye, injected and cured it, they then removed the glass without incidence.

If you have any concerns about doing it, go to a recycling yard and try one there first, you will then know if your equipment/resins can do the job or not, you'll never know if you don't try!

Merci
scratchy

Post by scratchy »

To fix an inside break you need to get very creative with your injector by loading it upside down and holding it steady and firm with your hand through the process. You also need an excellent UV source as the sun is no use to you from the inside. I don't recommend anybody making a priority out of it but it is a nice trick to have up your sleeve in those rare moments you need it. Most of these rare bears are caused by crystals hanging from the mirror or disabled people hitting the W/S with a cane trying to get out. The ones that are caused by a rock blasting through both layers of glass is a definite no no.
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

The other day I fella asked me to look at his windshield. He described the damage as ''a rock chip with about a 2'' runner''. He wasnt going to be home, but he said the truck was accessible, and to leave him a note with my recommendation and how much it would cost. Well, sure enough, there was the damage exactly as he described. But, in addition to that... there was a full-length vertical crack, the origin of which was a bulls eye on the outside of the shield, but the crack was on the inside. It was so old, there were bubbles along the length of it. I left a note recommending replacement, because of the crack. But it amazes me that people do this... wanting to get their most recent rock chip fixed, when the rest of the windshield looks like it had been through a hail storm or rock slide!