Russian Roulette

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
gold star wsr

Re: Russian Roulette

Post by gold star wsr »

If this is addressed in the waiver you have them sign aforehand, there should be no need to discuss it further.
Clarity Glass
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Clarity Glass »

Outlook, I also have the disclaimer like gold star, it's a must. When people question it I simply tell them I've done a couple thousand repairs and only had one crack out. I tell them I pay close attention to glass temperature and how much pressure is put on the windshield. If you express attention to detail and care for the window you will quickly gain their trust, no lost sale.
glassfixerCO

Post by glassfixerCO »

:eusa_thin Just a thought. If someone only cracks out 1 in 2000 windshields, then rather than having each customer sign a waiver (which might cause even ONE customer to question your abilities) why not just set aside .50 cents per w.s. repair? Then if/when one cracks while being repaired there'd be more than enough set aside (about $1,000 by my calculations) to pay for whatever portion of the replacement cost seems fair--not to mention a little vacation to help you forget about the unfortunate experience. :eusa_booh
glassfixerCO

Post by glassfixerCO »

Of course I'd probably keep tapping into it for laundry money. :eusa_naug
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

Laundry money???
Hows about gas money!!!
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Am I the only one who does cracks around here? The majority of repairs that we do would not be attempted by the glass replacement shops, they all use the "if it's bigger than a dime, it can't be repaired" line on there customers, and we all know that a dime is a small repair. Customers come to us as a last resort to replacement, knowing that if we can't do it they mist repalce. So if it cracks out give them the choice of repairing the crack(without extra cost of course), or they can have the glass replaced at there cost, since without your services it is what they would have done anyways. A fresh rack is next to imposible to detect. If your cracks are too visable, practice more, change resins, do what needs to be done to fixe them properly. I the end you will be the winner in the story because you will have another service to offer your customers. Stop living in fear of cracks, learn to appreciate them instead for what they are, a way to set yourself above the crowd, make even better profits than chip repair, and an excellent word of mouth generator(a person that has had a crack repaired with success will tell every crack owner he see's that it's repairable just to see the surprise on there face).

Merci
gold star wsr

Post by gold star wsr »

When having the client sign my waiver, I say ''this paper says if the patient dies on the operating table, the doctor is not at fault'' ... everyone is familiar with that procedure... I then explain thatits not likely to happen, but we are working with broken glass that might be unstable. I give them the option of continuing to a completed, guaranteed repair, or take their chances on it cracking out if not repaired.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

Outlook
If you work at a dealership already sell the service mgr on offering it though the service writers
Sneck

Post by Sneck »

I tend to agree with GlassfixerCo. The customer (most customers) are natually already apprehensive about ANYONE working on their car, so why scare them by asking to sign a waiver? Don't get me wrong, I thought about using waivers, it makes sense, but I choose not to use them because I don't want the customer to be nervous or question my ability. If I crack one out,... instant bad day for me - so what... Let the customer tell you what he thinks you should do. Pay 1/2? (maybe). Pay deductible? (maybe). Pay for a complete new windshield? (No.) Customer should at least meet somewhere 1/2 way.

Repare-Brise... I also repair long cracks. It can certainly be profitable, however for me, the majority of my work is chips, and many, many of them are a lot larger than what the glass-shops are saying is repairable.

Just this last week-end, a customer called and told me that his deductible was too high and could not afford a new windshield, and that the repair shops he called told him that anything larger than a dime cannot be repaired - a new windshield would need to be installed. The customer asked me to come over to see if I can repair it the best I can. It turned out that this guy had 5 (five) of the most nasty over-sized rock-chips I have ever seen, and all of them were on the drivers side! I gave a quantity discount, and 1-1/2 hours later I left with a wad of cash in my pocket and one really happy customer. All the breaks cleared up and looked fantastic! It nearly looked like a new windshield.

I LOVE doing what they say can't be done!

Sneck
johnnyone

Post by johnnyone »

Thanks you all for your great posts I like them all. What I do is not to mention it unless the issued is brought up by the customer then I ansewer it, I am not responsable it it breaks out but I would rather it happen when I am working on it so I can try to fix it then.

Johnnone
Bullseye WSR