Quick curing lamp?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
snicker2938

Quick curing lamp?

Post by snicker2938 »

Any of your guys out there using or, have used whats called a "quick curing lamp"? They clame it will cure resin in one minute. I'm just wondering if that is enough time to cure it correctly.
Delta Kits
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Quick curing lamp?

Post by Delta Kits »

Hi snicker 2938,

Cure times...It's very hard to determine cure times. Most UV bulbs can cure surface resin quickly. Our lights all (except the AA powered one) cure pit resin in under one minute. That's why some manufacturers tout their 30 second curing lights. If you put pit resin on the surface of a windshield, tape it, and cure for 30 seconds, it looks like it's cured, and you can scrape it off...The problem comes when there's a break underneath there. Did you know that a windshield blocks well over 50% of UV light? So, while you can certainly surface cure in 30-60 seconds, it takes longer to cure the legs of the break. What's worse, it's almost impossible on each break to determine whether that resin is cured. Only during tests can we tell that.
Delta Kits, Inc.
mafsu

Post by mafsu »

Who makes the light you're referring to? I know Glas-Weld makes a light that they claim will do this. It's round shape for placing around the bridge to cure under pressure(at least that's why I was told it was round) interests me. The price on theirs is outrageous though. Maybe if you are doing insurance work, 1 repair at a time it would be worth the cost.
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

Curing is much slower than we think, better to be cautious, then risk a failure. Personaly I pressure cure for 2 mins before I remove the injector, this at least stops the resin from backing out of the repair once pressure is removed(very important on vertical repairs. I the follow with another 2 mins to cure the pitfill resin. As for fast lights, best to check the wattage of the bulbs, this is what will tell you if it can be faster than the lamp you are using now. If you live where the sun is strong, curing without the lamp can be done(around this area I "sun cure" only from April-Oct and late morning early afternoon). In mid summer on a sunny day surface curing is under 10 secs in the sunlight, but what's under the surface is what is more important. If you know thw vehicule will not be moved for a few hours, and it's in the sun, the surface curing is acceptable considering the sun will do the rest after you are gone, if the vehicule is to be moved better to cure more than less.

Merci
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

The big yellow one I use works really quick
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I use a magic curing lamp ... it requires no batteries and is on for many hours of the day all by itsself. It works rain or shine, sunny or cloudy, hot or cold.The only bad part is that it doesn't work at night :(
With my magic curing lamp I can cure my breaks in almost no time at all. If it is warm outside it cures in mere seconds. Using this magic light I have never had a repair fail after I was done with it ..... well not never but only 1 maybe 2 times in 20 thousand vehicles repaired, and it wasn't due to it not curing it was due to a huge chip with less than desireable arm lengths and a very dirty chip

My magic light was free to me and increases in inensity the more I discharge hair spray cans from the 70's..
repare-brise

Post by repare-brise »

In the northern climes the big yellow one is very slow at 8:30 am in January(but aren't we all)

Merci
a1repair

Post by a1repair »

We use the big yellow one too. But 110V when we have to, which is rare.
[FONT=Arial]A-1[/FONT] Windshield & Vinyl Repair
We get the monkey off your back! Since 1984
Jeremiahswindshieldrepair

Post by Jeremiahswindshieldrepair »

I use an alternative source to my "magic curing lamp" when need be but I r=try not to be working that early or that late anyhow hehe
GlasWeldTech

Post by GlasWeldTech »

I use the Glas Weld round Pro Cure lamp and it works fine for me. Well worth the money spent.